Let my heart be still a moment and this mystery explore

The finished diorama looks great. The vitrine really adds to the museum quality of the whole display.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the nice comments and looking in. I was unfamiliar with the wax you mentioned. Since my wife was sitting here with me, I shared your post and she immediately jumps up. She had previously gotten some of the wax that she thought she would never use! I will need to try this. Thank you for the suggestion!

2 Likes

Haha, great! The wax is also good for securing curios from sliding or rolling off of a shelf

2 Likes

@ Stuart (amoz02t).
Sorry for the tardy reply. I tend not to transport my builds — but you never know. So I was still giving your question some serious thought. :thinking:

@ KS1 (kosprueone).
“Orthodontic Wax!” What a great solution!:bulb: … That got me thinking: I have some ‘Gorilla Tough & Clear, Double Sided Mounting Tape’ (on hand) that could work for my vitrines (that’s a new one on me!). Since it’s kinda’ “gummy,” you could probably use it on braces as well! :grimacing::nut_and_bolt: … See what I did there? :grin:

—mike

2 Likes

Thanks, I was introduced to this material and it’s functionally archival uses during employment in a museum.

:rofl: yes I did

2 Likes

Mike - Thanks LOL

1 Like

Man those cases are expensive. I looked over the link provided by Michael as I have a 1/32 aircraft I finished while back that didn’t fit my glass cabinet. They quoted close to $300 for 22” x 22” x 8”. Lord have mercy!

4 Likes

I think the options for the under case base (wood, plastic or metal helps the price a lot. My display case was not as much as what you suggested for your smaller size. The plex used is very high quality and thick. I have no idea about shipping costs lately, but mine was well packaged

1 Like

Thinking of future opportunities,

I found a vendor on Shapeways 3D printing website called " miniNature
By miniNature miniNature has a growing collection of highly detailed animal figurines in multiple scales" These look like opportunities to modify for another similar figure.

2 Likes

Please check out their offerings as they have a lot of dogs and birds as well

2 Likes

I have emailed with some of the Shapeways 3D print vendors in the past to ask for different scales. Usually scaling up or down to 1/35 is no big deal. I am only trying to encourage more hunting theme projects from others as I am always looking for ideas. Some very talented folks on this website here!

2 Likes

ShapeWays has some really cool stuff if you can spend a few weeks searching their site — couldn’t find a chicken to save my life! :rooster:

FYI: I don’t recommend the ‘White Natural Versatile Plastic’ if you plan to do any modification, i.e. cutting, sawing, detonating and/or sanding. That stuff is like Kryptonite! However, the ‘Smoothest Fine Detail Plastic’ is really nice! HTH.

—mike

1 Like

SW versatile plastic is just nylon dust welded together by laser. It has all the detail capacity you’d expect from a model built of course sandpaper! And being nylon it takes badly to being sanded smooth. Oh, and it absorbs paint like a sponge…

Stuart, good luck contacting SW designers! Far too many either don’t reply, or have long-since gone away from the platform so never see the messages.

5 Likes

Using the All Item drop down the artist has many scales already.

I like the cad prints but if one could print on the resin printer instead of SW, to me that would be ideal.

2 Likes

Ah, but what happens to the poor designer? If I put my CADs on SW I know I’ll get a mark-up for each sale. But if I put my CAD out there for anyone to print at home I get no return on my time invested. This is a basic problem with the whole home-printer revolution…

2 Likes

They should be compensated for sure….how and where, I don’t know. There is other services where designs can be downloaded and printed at home, as there is a cost I assume the designer gets a cut of some kind. Licensing and grift are legit concerns.

2 Likes

Yes. I have tried the white natural versatile plastic 3D figures from ShapeWays. Much liquid surfacer and sanding required before anything useful. I too would suggest the fine detail material versions. Perhaps another option is working with 3D print folks on this Armorama website with the suggested file found on miniNature? I do not understand how the file sharing and proprietary information works. Guess it depends on what is out there. The dog looks interesting

2 Likes

Unfortunately, and as I had silently predicted all along, some of these guys are starting to fade out. Designers spend a huge investment in 3D CAD software, printer equipment, materials, and of course, their time to output a little thingy that otherwise we could not create. But when they offer their skills, I am truly appreciative of their talents.

—mike

2 Likes

Mike- 3D chickens in the proper scale are rare - LOL

:smile:

1 Like

See! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like