I was stationed at Ft Carson in 1993-94 and lived in barracks building # 2552. There was a solid green tank parked right outside the south side of the building at the end of a very small parking lot for the barracks personnel. I don’t have any pictures of the tank and was wondering if anybody out there knows what I’m talking about. I really want to say it is the same M47 that is now parked at the museum there but am not for sure and would like to do a model kit of this tank for nostalgia. Thank you for any help.
My first association with Fort Carson was in 2002, and to this day I still go there several times per year. They have moved the equipment around so much that it’s impossible to know exactly which tank you’re talking about. Their T-72 is a perfect example.
However, there is an M47 on display in front of the 1st Brigade Combat Team HQ, off of McGrath. McGrath is the main one-way road that runs north across the base. Back in your day (and when I first got there) none of those roads were one-way.
I’m pretty sure it is the Patton but just wanted to make sure and see if anybody else remembers out there.
The only one way streets at Carson back then were the 2 north and south main streets going from the B street gate to the south of the garrison just past 4th brigade HQ building if I recall correctly. Building 2552 back then was the very last large building going southbound and the tank I’m asking about was almost right on the corner of the street where a person would turn to go to the 4th brigade HQ.
I was a 63S heavy wheeled mechanic and was in the 4th CAB HHC and worked out at Butts airfield motorpool and didn’t care about heavy mechanized armor back then. I worked mainly on M978 HEMTT tankers due to my company supporting aviation. Lots of great times back then and even got to go to Mogadishu in the CO wintertime LOL. Missed out on some great skiing.
Thanks for the help.
I was stationed there 86-88 in 4/61 ADA. At that time they had a few display tanks up near the gate on 115. The museum was over near the B street gate at that time and was closed for renovations if I recall.
They still have many tanks at that gate. And near the parade ground is a row of tanks, SPGs, a helo. And many more examples scattered throughout the post. The last time I used the automotive shop they were storing an M3 half track in there.
One day I’m gonna have to go up there and see if the Iraqi PRC-77 radio some Major stole from me made it to the division museum as he said it was going to go! ![]()
![]()
Looks like it was parked outside an Army barracks
What is the vehicle behind it?
Those are not barracks.
.
Dan:
I think that is an M800 “Scout” ARSV.
The location of this kinda looks like that museum up in New England . . . where I believe this MBT-70 ultimately met its end at the hands of the CMH.
Mark Neukom
I think that vehicle was towed away and cut up.
Looking at that museum’s MBT70, I dont think they are the same.
.
Dan:
You’re right . . . looking closer, we have both seen the vehicle in the image above up close — at Fort Benning. That extension on the nose, and the fender areas look to be a match for that Benning MBT-70 that sits outside the Collection. The nice paint on the vehicle above makes me think perhaps the picture was taken at Fort Knox (was it stored in the LST Building?).
I’ll try to find a picture of it, with some of those details.
(I’m not great with my MBT-70 & XM803 identification, but I think that the lack of a missile control box on top of the gun mantlet means this actually is an MBT-70.)
Mark Neukom
Two return rollers is a 803.
I don’t think it was in the LST building, but they had a 70 or 803 in front of Holder complex.
Two return rollers is a 803.
OK. (Gets out Hunnicutt)
So, given the two return rollers, this is an XM803 hull, as you indicated. The turret, however, must be an MBT70 turret, due to the lack of a missile transmitter on the gun mantlet, and the bulge in the left turret side for the 20mm AA gun.
A Frankentank.
It is interesting that the link you sent to the Danbury tank ( PreservedTanksLink ) does not mention that tank’s encounter with the CMH or the cutting torch.
Mark Neukom


