Looking for Tamiya M1

Hey all, I’m looking for Tamiya’s M1 abrams armed with the 105mm gun, I believe it is kit number 224. I would like to use it as a base model for a team yankee build.

1 Like

If you can’t find one get the Panda M-1. Pretty good kit just have to replace the tracks though.

2 Likes

The Panda M1 is actually much better than the old Tamiya kit in my opinion.

Here is a review and good discussion about it on the old Armorama.
https://archive.armorama.com/forums/264322/index.htm

1 Like

How does the ESCI M1 compare to the Tamiya & Panda kits? I built one long ago, but have no idea how the details stack up by comparison. I always thought it was decent (unlike their M1A1). At least that is another option available secondhand if you can’t find the other two.

1 Like

@HeavyArty @Delta21 thank you for the recommendation I’ll give the panda kit a look!

1 Like

Way better by leaps and bounds. But the tracks are wrong. I have the Panda kit.

1 Like

@Delta21 what tracks would you recommend?

Trumpeter is the only one who does T156 tracks.

2 Likes

Im using the kit tracks from the Rye field M1A1 Desert storm version on mine.

1 Like

@HeavyArty that sounds like a more viable option. How bad are the panda tracks @Delta21 ?

The upper portion of the tracks are made for bigfoot type which is wrong and lower portion is correct.

2 Likes

To clarify a little more. The Panda M1 tracks are incorrectly molded. They have the inner surface of T158 tracks and the outer surface of T156 tracks. The correct T156 tracks should look like below.

As opposed to T158 tracks.

Ahhh this makes more sense thank you @Delta21 and @HeavyArty on this. Never realized how different our own equipment is in each mod.

1 Like

I was able to get one of the old Tamiya kits for $27. I’m going to build it and see how it goes, going to also look at finding the panda kit and see what i like between the two of them. Thanks for all the help guys!

Take a look at the Tamiya tracks as they are molded incorrectly and are missing the end connectors.
ximg_5329.jpg.pagespeed.ic.rQVlDdtq0q

1 Like

@Delta21 thank you, I’m going to spend the money and get the trumpeter tracks like recommended before!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 180 days. New replies are no longer allowed.