Earlier in 2020 I began building this incredible fusion of modern M1A1 Abrams tank and wacky grim dark gothic science fiction for Games Workshop’s Warhammer 40,000 table top game. This is mean to ‘count as’ one of their designs (called the Leman Russ Battle Tank), but look more akin to a modern MBT turret on a WWI inspired chassis. This paper design was created by Ukrainian paper model genius Eli Patoroch and I picked it up on Zealot (a paper model forum), though you can find him on Facebook these days as well in the Warhammer Paperfabricators group. This first post is where I started after printing the parts, coating the pages in clear coat, and then assembling with some bracing to prevent warping in the middle of flat panel faces. Most of the parts are paper or card stock, but to save myself some serious carpel tunnel syndrome, I 3D printed individual tread links…
Welcome! It looks very interesting, looking forward to more!
As with most armor projects, paper modeled tanks are mostly boxes (of interesting shapes and sizes), and laminated greeblies (detail bits and pieces). Picking the right thickness of card to print on is the first step, and then gluing those printed components onto other thicknesses is the next judgement call. Form there, you can have fun with the templates. In this case, I turned every vent into a bit more of a 3D shape but cutting the slats individually instead of just leaving them as recessed areas with groves pressed in with my ball end tool (which is great for scoring folds by the way).
Your wish, will come true! Got lots of pictures from this project as it was done back in April through May/June of 2020 and completed! So this is mostly retrospective at this point! Sit back and enjoy the updates!
Will do! I love Abrams and Warhammer so this is right up my ally!
As I moved along with this project, I tried to think about where my rattle can primer would not hit when I finally got to the point of priming and painting the project. For most of these recessed areas, I ended up using an acrylic ink (black in this case) to ensure there wouldn’t be visible paper throughout the model. Such spots will shatter the illusion of the model itself being made of other materials. I also incorporated other objects as required, such as a dowel, for strength, this is going to be used in a table top game after all.
Other detailing items I used in this build were half sphere nail art/craft beads (bulbs, small domes larger than rivets) and dots of PVA/wood glue applied with toothpick (rivets). Otherwise, it’s mostly just laminated cardstock and paper details. Most tubes are rolled around drill bits or ratchet wrench sockets to maintain a good true cylinder. CA glue was used to reinforce paper handles.
It looks great! Futuristic but the shape is still recognizable as an Abrams, love it!
End results! Last post tonight!
I primed the paper model with spray can camo paint. In this case, it was a desert tan camo paint. Nothing too fancy, just a flat tan, green, or black depending on preference. The more flat and matte, the better for the acrylic paint that follows! This serves to further seal the paper from any external elements and prevent warping due to moisture (I live in a river valley with 100% humidity throughout the year, so this is CRITICAL), as well as provide a good ‘tooth’ and surface finish for the acrylics (or enamels). My paints of choice after priming were actually just craft store acrylics. I used some Vallejo metallic in my chipping, but all the base colors, dry brushed highlights, and other features are Delta Ceramcoat acrylics.
Until next time, happy greebling!
Amazing result! I bet it looks great on the table.
Okay, one more post!
Found some better shots of how I topped it all off. I used some AK Interactive Matte Varnish in my airbrush, and then snapped some daylight shots on my driveway!
Now you just need to modify some Warhammer marines to be tankers!
Great build and an interesting alternative to the in game tanks.