M101 Trailer Canvas question

I am looking forward to a future project which will include an M101 3/4 ton trailer with canvas cover. I will be using the old Bilek/Italeri M101 trailer, with some updating. Unfortunately, there is no kit nor AM canvas that I know of for it.

This is what the 1:1 M101 with canvas looks like.

I tried a HMMWV canvas, but it is too short. Does anyone have a Dodge WC-52 canvas to measure so I can see if it would fit? I am also wondering if a Tamiya Gamma Goat top would fit. Anyone have one to measure as well?

As a last resort, I can make it out of tissue paper and glue or A&B putty, but would prefer a kit one if possible.

2 Likes

The hardest thing about being me is remembering where everything is.

I found the Gamma Goat in the Zombie Apocalypse bunker, but for some reason I must’ve ditched the cover. Honestly, in looking at it I don’t think it would have helped you. The compartment appears narrower on the trailer than on the Goat because of the fenders. I know I’ve got another somewhere - I used to buy stuff just to buy stuff when it was 40% off at Hobby Lobby. I could stumble on it in the next five minutes, or five days. Then i ran across the SKYBOW WC51 (I know - -not what you were asking about, but what the heck) and it doesn’t even come with a cover.
That seems like such an easy shape to make though, not like it was for a Deuce.

3 Likes

Thanks for looking. It is the Tamiya M792 Gamma Goat Ambulance that comes with the top.

And I know, I will probably end up scratching the top. Just seeing if any kit one would fit, or could be modified to fit. Possibly two HMMWV cargo tops cut down and mated together, but I only have one.

2 Likes

So does that mean I didn’t ditch it - it was never there? If so that makes me feel better. I rarely toss out any kind of kit part.

1 Like

Yup, the M561 Gamma Goat kit did not come w/a cargo top.

1 Like

I guess that’s ten minutes of my life I’ll never get back.
Ah, the cargo HMMWV’s - those are in a different part of the bunker.

1 Like

I have an extra one in my stash. I’m sure we could work out a modeling trade.

1 Like

Which kit do you have extra? I really only need a canvas and I think the HMMWV cargo canvas would be the best fit. Let me know if you have one.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing this Gino. We all know as soon as you finish scratch building the trailer canvas cover, that three kit makers will release injection molded parts immediately. I assume in 1/35, 1/48 and 1/72 scale! We all appreciate your prodding of the karma machine :smile:

1 Like

There are already canvas in 3 d Print for m101 Trailer on shapeways,but expensive

2 Likes

Hey Gino, are you talking about the Academy troop carrier? If so, I have an extra cover. Let me know. Wayne

1 Like

Thanks, but I already have one coming.

2 Likes

OK, good luck with your project.

1 Like

PSM Goat canvas top: 69mm long, 60mm wide, 27mm in hight. But has a more rounded roof shape and only 4 bows instead of 5 on the trailer. I would not recommend it for your purpose. Trailer top is more box-like.

1 Like

Thanks.

1 Like

Gino, if you can find it, the old paper that used to be used to make canvas airplane wings works. I’ve also found that the paper lining that comes folded up inside brand new dress shirts works great as well.

I just measure out the dimensions, cut the paper to size, and then (since I am making an “OD” canvass), I just paint the paper with Tamiya Khaki Drab and it works great.

1 Like

Thanks Tom. I am going to see if I can make the Academy M998 cargo canvas work. If not, it is to the tried and true “tissue paper” method.

2 Likes