M106 Mortar Carrier, Vietnam, 1969

There. You both get to be right. Imagine that.

6 Likes

The Aussies used the M125 in Vietnam.

2 Likes

I was going to put a M-79 in the turret, but ran out of time. I did add things like Coke cans and spent .50 casings, etc. This photo was before adding that stuff, put you can see the pin-up.

The M16 ammo bandolier was scratchmade. using measurements from a real one I had handy. Hard part was making seven 20rd mags to fill it.

A few more photos…

11 Likes

This is an amazing build, it needs to be a star feature on this site or in a modelling magazine/book on modelling Vietnam War subjects.
The attention to every detail is astonishing!

4 Likes

Thank you for the very kind words. I appreciate it. But apparently many don’t agree with you. At a contest last week specifically for armor modelers, it didn’t even place or even get an honorable mention.

2 Likes

Welcome to the club.
Ken

1 Like

Are you kidding me ?? Don’t tell me …. IPMS? That’s phenomenal work no matter which way you look at it. Did you ask the judges what you could have gone better lol ? That’s ridiculous

1 Like

Impressive work indeed Robert ! :+1: :+1: :+1:

H.P.

3 Likes

Don’t see what any show judge could find to fault this model. Attention to detail is phenomenal. This was my war, and I can’t find a single thing wrong.

Robert, enter it in another contest. I had a model last year that didn’t even get an honorable mention at a small local show and then took a 3rd place in a large, crowded category at the IPMS Nationals.

1 Like

Thank you. Great photo. I see they are using the M60 adapter on the folding hatches. I have seen drawings of this, but none on any of my references in the field. I assumed it wasn’t used.

Thank you. That’s what perplexes me the most. What did I do wrong? I don’t understand. There was no feedback of any type from a single person at the show even though many were looking at it. But honestly, it was a great show up til the awards ceremony.

yeah i have seen vote irregularities at IPMS shows, friends of the judges getting higher places than they should have, and i live in Scotland.

the only issues that i could see is there seems to be an excessive paint build up on the figure’s torso, that gives a slight “orange peel” look, down the left side of the figure but i did have to enlarge the image 3 times it’s current size. there is also a wood coloured box which seems to be missing a little weathering on that is next to the opening on the top deck near the figure but again i increased it’s size to three times the current one.

and that’s the only way to pick some stuff out, i have had the same thing with some of my work once i took pictures of it and posted it on here and then increased the size, then i spotted the issues.

hope this helps,

it doesn’t detract from your brilliant work in my opinion but then again i’m just some country bumkin kit builder :slight_smile:

I’m late again to this one; outstanding work all round. Well done Robert.

You did nothing wrong, model is very accurate. I don’t do shows, but often thought of doing an M151 painted a dark (almost black) semi gloss OD, with light green plastic seat covers and a silver pin stripe line around each wheel rim. Standing next to the jeep would be a GI in jungle fatigues but wearing a field jacket w/yellow/black “U S ARMY”, full color sleeve stripes, and a full color 3rd Armored Division patch on left shoulder. His weapon would be an M-16 with a 30 round mag (made from an AK), and his buddy would have an old 12ga pump shotgun. Title would be 'Vietnam, III Corps, 1970". And when the judges proceded to pick apart each detail, I’d pull out photos I took in 1970 confirming each one. Some “experts” ain’t.

3 Likes

Those are the guys we wryly label “Experten”.

1 Like

Exactly! And I’m waiting to be corrected as the vehicle should be an M151"A1", it’s actually not a “Jeep”, but made by Ford, shotguns wern’t on most units TO&E, and full color insignia were no longer authorized in 1970! Welcome to the “Combat Zone”, where a GI can, and will, do almost anything he can get away with…despite regulations.

2 Likes

Wrong!
LOTS of experts ain’t.
:wink:

Providing photographic evidence is recommended when venturing outside of the accpted “norm” (even IF the norm is wrong).
When I did IPMS judging here in Sweden a long time (20 + years???) ago we were explicitly told that historical accuracy was NOT a judging criteria. We could “kill” a model over a sloppy paint job but not because the colours or camo scheme was “incorrect”. Lord have mercy on the historically perfect model which had misaligned roadwheels …

An excellent point. My first run in with “experts” was several years ago. I did a small Vietnam era vignette of a command group, displayed it at a local hobby shop. A couple of days later, an Expert proclaimed it incorrect because the RTO “wouldn’t have 2 PRC-25’s hooked together like that”. When I explained to the Expert that the commo setup was a PRC-77 connected to a KY-38 operating in X-Mode, he went blank, had never seen that equipment. So your suggestion of documentary backup to any unusual configuration is a point well taken.

Don’t forget the immense pleasure of shoving a photo down the throat of a self proclaimed expert
:wink: