M109 in IDF service

I have come across various references to the early M109 being used for a short time by the IDF.
Of course, later marks have been in Israeli service for some time, but I am particularly interested
in the original version. If indeed it was used by the IDF, can anyone advise on external differences between this and the US Army (circa Vietnam War) version?
My reason for asking is that I intend to use Revell’s 1/72-scale kit as a starting point, and need to
identify any necessary external changes.

Thanks,

Paul

11156153_1631490657074293_5787312383662373595_n

117972151_10222673099405671_6936631758110299229_n

At some point in time the muzzle brake was replaced with the Soltam one, produced locally.
The IDF added an extra antenna at the rear left of the vehicle.

1 Like

The vehicle is named M109 Rochev in IDF Service. It was later upgraded and named Rochev Alef.

1 Like

Did not know that about the muzzle brake. Fortunately I have one I can copy.
The Israelis love extra stowage - those racks and a .30 cal. mount (just because it’s different) and you’re there.

You can do one without the Soltam muzzle brake. In 1/35 it is available in the Takom Rhino kit, in case anyone is interested.

How fortuitous. I’ve got that one in the stash. Thanks for the heads up.

1 Like

Thanks to you both for your excellent responses … plenty of reference photos there!
I had originally planned to depict the Revell kit in its Vietnam War colour/markings, but
an IDF version is more appealing.
Generally speaking, what would be the time frame for these vehicles in IDF service?

Thanks,

Paul

1 Like

Yom Kippur War.

Few more…

M109-L23-w-2

2 Likes

Notice that with all M109’s through the A6 the top run of track has enough lateral play to gouge into to aluminum hull. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen anyone model this other than myself although
I’m sure its been done.

And of course it knocks the rust off of the inboard track connector ends as well.

1 Like

Very interesting.
A question for Reluctant Renegade … your close-up photo of the M109 in the Jerusalem parade (2nd image). Would this be an accurate representation of the vehicle colour, or should it be more towards a
sand-grey tone?

Paul

Depends on the time frame. The photo was taken on May 7, 1973, during the military parade marking the the 25th Independence Day. The scheme is the one used from the early '60s until '73. Sometime after this photo was taken, the IDF adopted a more greyish variant of this scheme. I don’t know when exactly that occured, but most colored photos of IDF AFVs during the YKW seem to give the impression of the revised scheme. Nevertheless, I’m sure that there was an overlap, and the two schemes coexsisted for a while, including war itself.

For the 61-73 scheme I like to use 50% Tamiya XF60 Dark Yellow + 50% XF57 Buff (or XF50 Deck Tan for a lighter, more faded look).

For the revised 73 scheme I use around 40% XF60, 40% XF57 (or XF50) and 20% XF20 Medium Grey. Since I never paint two IDF vehicles from the same period in the exact same color, I always play around with the ratios to achive a slightly different look.

2 Likes