M1A1 HA Revell Restoration + looking for reference photos

Hi all,
Im in process of picking out the time frame for my M1A1 HA that Ive been restoring from Revell (a 20 year old kit that Im redoing, detaling, etc).

Looking for any pics of IFOR Abrams tanks, or generally good quality IFOR armor pictures bank, to understand types of gear they carried, weathering, etc.

Also, on Abbadon tank that I have decals for and plan on building, do we know if wheels were desert sand color or - green? References are unclear.

I have markings for Abbadon (HobbyBoss). I like the IFOR markings, as my tank is originally without any (just D-24 tank, Platoon Sargent) and from 1995, but I think the Bosnia one looks a bit cooler and I can add a bunch of gear. Yes, Im doing a tank thats been done many times and probably should do another tank from IFOR, but I dont print own decals and I kinda want my tank to be real one from photos. Abbadon is on bunch of pics, so it is simipler.

Appreciate any help.

Pic of my project below for reference:

My WIP build. Still dry fitted hull and gear not glued in, not weathered.

How it started its life in 1997 model I built vs how it sits currently:

6 Likes

H.P.

5 Likes

The wear at the end of the barrel is noteworthy.

2 Likes

Thank you!
Not many reference photos but good to see that the IFOR …force had tanks from 1st AD and they are not Marine tanks as some internet reference materials pointed to Abbadon being a Marine tank.

1 Like

It is rather curious how worn and beaten down US tanks look in Bosnia in that period. Barrel included but see chipping also all over.

1 Like

IFOR had no Marine units in it. It was the NATO mission to enforce the Dayton Peace Accords in Bosnia-Herzegovina from Dec '95 - Dec '96. The US contingent was pretty much all 1st Armored Division.

“Multi-National Division (North) Tuzla – US led. Task Force Eagle. The US Army 1st Armored Division under the command of Major General William L. Nash, constituted the bulk of the ground forces for Task Force Eagle. They began to deploy on 18 December 1995. MND-N was composed of two U.S. Brigades, a Russian brigade, a Turkish brigade, and the Nordic-Polish Brigade.”

The wheels are green on NATO camo tanks, not sand.

1 Like

Come to think of it, not just Bosnia.
I saw pictures of Abrams tanks on exercise showing more then just regular wear and tear, but plenty of rust as well. The whole thing looked a bit run down.

1 Like

I am seeing pretty good-looking tanks above. Lots of dirt/mud and road grime, but not chipping and rusting. CARC paint is very durable, you don’t get much chipping and rusting with it.

2 Likes

This was one of those I was refering to, but in hindsight I realized that it was the roller that caught my attention.

I guess the driver can not see much, even less then before.

2 Likes

And what was in KFOR later on - same tanks? Or was it already M1A2s? I have an option to build my M1A1 as KFOR or IFOR, picking IFOR as seems like more fitting. The KFOR tanks didnt have CIPs installed it seemed also, and much less pics of them somehow. Decisions decisions…

1 Like

KFOR starts in 1999, so the US troops were mostly send from units in Germany, like the 1st. Armored Division or 1st Infantry Division. These units were equipped with M1A1HA or M1A1 AIM.
If I’m wrong, please correct me.

Andreas

1 Like

USMC M1A1HA in Kosovo

Army Abrams in Kosovo in 1999 :

This one has CIPs

Same here

Two M1A1 Abrams Main Battle Tanks (MBT) from Bravo Company, 1ST Battalion, 63rd Armor, sit ready to fire on the Falcon 4 range in the town of Ramnjane, Kosovo, in support of Operation Joint Guardian II

H.P.

1 Like

Interesting, the top five photos (Uwe Hellmann) all have USMC smoke dischargers on the turrets.
Ken

2 Likes

Wow yes I noticed that too. Very interesting.

1 Like

IFOR was the initial Implementation FORce from Dec '95 to Dec '96. The US part of IFOR was 1AD and not the USMC.

After Dec '96, it transitioned to SFOR (Stabilization FORce) whose mission was to deter hostilities and stabilize the peace in Kosovo.

This was replaced by KFOR (Kosovo FORce) in 1999 and is still a current NATO mission. It is a NATO-led international peacekeeping force in Kosovo.

SFOR and KFOR have included USMC units, along with US Army and Army National Guard units.

Since the War on Terror started in '01 and Iraq in '03, most of the units that supported KFOR have been Army National Guard.

1 Like

An oft repeated mantra.

I’ll limit myself to the Abrams since that’s the subject of the thread. And to two photos since it’s my night to whip up something to eat. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Uh, yeah… About the whole “CARC is very urable”…

3 Likes

Yes, it rusts when metal is exposed. Not common examples, but extreme ones. I never said it kept them perfect. The USMC tank above has been shown before as a very extreme example of a tank that was at sea a long time exposing it to salt spray and air and one that has been very neglected.

2 Likes

This is the same one I posted above when I took photos for Meng. CARC coming off everywhere. And yes, these are common examples. I’m at a different base almost every month.
This one is from “Ft. Cervezas.”
Not sure when it was at sea last.

2 Likes

CARC paint is pretty durable, but some of these vehicles have been around a long time. In WWII a tank was lucky to last six months. Some modern US vehicles have been in hard service for ten years or more. The paint will wear!
Ken

1 Like