M1A1 with mine plow in Korea

Anyone know if M1A1s with the mine plow in Korea had anti-slip coating on them? Asking for a friend. Thanks in advance.

I assume they did.

1 Like

All M1A1s came from the factory with anti-slip on them. The mine plow, on the other hand, is basically a bolt on feature.
Ken

2 Likes

Thank you guys. I kinda figured. My friend is dying to try replicating the anti skid texture.

There are many threads on this forum dealing with the anti-skid stuff, and how to replicate it. Just show him some of those.

My favorite is textured spray paint, in the can, both Krylon and Rustoleum make them.
Ken

1 Like

Yes I made that suggestion to him about the rustoleum . Thanks for your replies guys!

1 Like

Anyone know what the CIP panels were made of? Those are the ones on the front of the turret on the M1A1s I think right? Not sure if I have the correct name.

1 Like

Yes, combat identification panels. Sheet metal and thermal tape. Sheet metal looks to be about 16 gauge. In scale it hardly matters though - PE thickness will dictate if using a PE set.

2 Likes

Yeah I kinda figured. My friend who’s doing the M1A1 with the ani-slip wants to use duct tape to simulate the panels. I thought just a thin piece of card stock.

1 Like

H.P.

2 Likes

What I wonder is why they are flat panels on the turret front but corrugated on the sides & back, any idea ?

Yes another good question. Hopefully the tankers will chime in lol

As for the specifics of the flat panels, I don’t know, they are well after my time; but they are specific to tanks. The other, louvered panels, are seen on all US vehicles, along with many allied country vehicles, in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Ken

They’re Combat Identification Panels; CIP for short; they’re designed to be a “Cold Spot” on thermal imaging scopes, to help ID friendly vehicles. The flat panels on out Abrams tanks work the same way; they show up as a cold spot against the rest of the vehicle, marking it as a “friendly”. Lessons learned from the First Gulf War, where a lot of our vehicle losses were caused by friendly fire (blue on blue).

Not just tanks. Bradley’s also have flat panels on the front of the turret. MLRS launchers also have flat plates on the front, sloped part of the cab. I think it has to do with the angled areas reflecting differently than flat areas.

1 Like

OIP

This is the CIP panel on the M2A2 Bradley, along with the CIP Panels mounted on the sides and on the rear stowage boxes.

@HeavyArty @SableLiger Interesting, I had not noticed the flat panels on other vehicles before. Learn something new every day.
Ken

You can see the tan CIP panels clearly on the all-green M270 MLRS.