M1A2 SEP Dragon Build

Hello Everyone, I “just” got a kit in the mail (really it was around 1 week ago) and it was the Dragon 1/35 scale M1A2 SEP along with a metal barrel and some PE. already started on the kit, and ran into a few (well, maybe more than that) problems. but, from what I’ve built, all the PE and the metal parts are pretty great, along with most of the plastic.
I’ll be posting pics soon. I’m currently working on the turret. so far, so ok!
Cheers!
L

3 Likes

Sounds great , keep us posted Logan.

Which SEP version is it Logan ? Can you post a few pics of the box and how far along you are. They are always good to see. I have the RFM SEPv2 I will be starting soon. :+1:

SEPv2. it actually doesn’t show on the box, (well, it probably does- I just can’t find it :grin:)
I ended up searching M1A2 SEPv2 and sure enough, that’s the one.
Cheers!
L

here’s the box and how far long i am, as you requested!

and the progress-

Cheers!
L

1 Like

Are the turret halves cemented together yet ? The trunnion on these Dragon kits needs to be raised by .040" so the top of the mantlet is flush with the top of the turret.

too late, sadly. I ended up glueing one side, than applying enough pressure for that to hold for the time it took to settle, than I glued the other side. it’s not 100% flush, but it’s around 95%.
that info will definately help in the future, though. I love this kit, and’ll probably do it again.

Good info there Sean. I have this kit too and didn’t realize that. Is it as simple as gluing a piece of scrap plastic underneath the mantlet ?

The idea is to raise the trunnion by .040 as shown in these photos ( courtesy of Fran Vasques ). First the tab on the underside of the turret top is removed.

Then shims are added to the bottom plate to shift it upwards.

and this will bring the mantlet up flush to the top of the turret.

2 Likes

Oh ok great. Doesn’t seem that hard of a fix

It is an M1A2 SEP (v1). The M1A2 SEP v2 has a remote weapons station on the TC’s side above the sight box, along with a few smaller upgrades.

3 Likes

thanks for the info!
Cheers!
L

I am very much interested in this build as I have the V2 version from Dragon with added all possible a/m extras to have a great detailed model. Really spent lot of money on it and would like to read more about issues you faced so I can be prepared.
I built one Dragon kit only (BRDM 2) back in ‘90’s snd that was not an easy run, the suspension was too weak to hold the wheels in proper position. I hope Dragon improved the engineering of their kits…

Waiting for your updates!

Cheers,

Tamás

1 Like

ugh.
well, I am now a certified barrel replacer! thanks to a certain older brother, my once amazing looking (because it wasn’t painted :grinning:) .50 cal on the turret roof lost it’s barrel purposefully! so, I chopped the barrel off of another .50 from the same era, and glued it back on. so, if you need someone to do that, (if you have an annoying older borther in your life)
just ask!
Cheers!
L

Any update on this project? I’m starting this myself with voyager pro35005 super detail set.

Darren