M240 MG - Colors

Thoughts on how to paint these? Looking at pics, I see everything from flat black, to a dark graphite color to a darkish brown. Any recommendations are appreciated.

1 Like

Will be loads of answers but I start with flat black then go into the armoury at work, look at a GPMG for reference then use a good graphite pencil to highlight obvious wear and tear areas and places that are frequently cleaned that remove the parkerisation process, Certain parts like the visible feed tray will be silver/steel and an over cleaned gas plug will be silvery as well… opinions will of course vary :+1:

2 Likes

+1 to what John recommends but I would also add flat black for the plastic parts and German dark grey (dunkelgrau) for the parkerized parts highlighted with pencil graphite.

I use NATO black for the body and black for plastic parts.

2 Likes

The main body is steel, with a parkerized finish. The top feed cover is aluminum, with a semi gloss black paint/coating. Feed tray is silver. Pistol grip and other parts, if equipped, are black plastic. Butt stock, if equipped, can be wood or plastic.

Parkerized parts can vary from black to a light metallic gray. Rivits, screws, and edges are often worn silver.
Ken

5 Likes

M240 co-ax and M230.

2 Likes

I generally use XF-84 dark iron which has a metallic tint without being shiny.

Olivier

2 Likes

Sorry its not a close up pic , i used mr surfacer black 1500 , then humbrol metal cote , butstock in flat black

3 Likes