M3/M5 Stuart interior questions

Hello fellow plastic and armor enthusiasts!
I have a question; how similar are the interiors of a M3A1 and a M5A1 Stuart?
I was under the impression that the basics, such as floor, seats, driveline and turretbasket would be identical, but I am not sure.
The reason why I am asking, is because I want to transfer Academy’s M3A1 interior into an AFV Club M5A1. The later will be put together with an M32B1 with the turret being lifted off.
Any input will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

1719_rn

M3A1 interior

M5A1 interior

M5 turret

H.P.

1 Like

Well, that settles it. Wonder why these images did not come up during my searches?
Not the same. Thanks for the help H.P.!

1 Like

Isn’t that a later M3 turret in the lower photos? The M5 turret had a bustle where the radio was mounted internally.

It was the M5A1 turret. The M5 had a M3A1 turret (fitted with a different basket though).

H.P.

Well, the construction method was different, the arrangement of some details was different, AND the innards were different.

KL

1 Like

Ahhhh… learned something new… I know the M3 family used at least four different turrets during the production series. Didn’t know that the M5 family overlapped there using the older type turret.

The M5 did not use the M3A1 turret. Not only was it a different part number, with different details inside and out, it wasn’t even constructed the same way.

KL

@RonW Yes, they are different. But you can still do the swap if you want to, to fill up the empty space. Most people will never know the difference. And depending on how high you show the turret lifted up, you may not be able to see much of the interior anyway.
Ken

1 Like

The early M5 may not be the same exact turret as used on the M3A1, but it sure looks close

1 Like

I’ll stick to the originals. M3A1 with interior and M5A1 without.
I found a way to show the interior of the previous in combination with a Marines M32B3 ( I think) that looks plausible.