M4 Sherman Casting Numbers/Marks

So I know that it varies from Sherman to Sherman (variant wise), so I was wondering what other places on a standard M4 Sherman. I also know that some are on the FDA, but are there any other places? I figure some others might benefit from the knowledge too but since I’m Sherman illiterate (shocker!) I’m asking more for myself. Thanks!

Colin :grin:

PS, if my title is incorrect please let me know and I’ll fix it

The short answer is that every cast part (no matter how large or small) had casting numbers on that reflected the drawing number for that part and the symbol of the manufacturer (the company that did the casting).

Of course, smaller cast parts received proportionally smaller casting numbers and symbols, so in scale these markings are often not visible (or just barely so).

As to the locations of the casting markings, your best bet is to invest in some reference books (like the Son of Sherman or its recently published revision) or spend some time on websites like Sherman Minutia:

Sherman Minutia Homepage

Precise locations, the drawing numbers and the manufacturer symbols varied according to the version of the part, the sub-contractor that cast it (including some of the prime contractors who cast many of their own parts), and the prime contractor manufacturing that particular version of the tank and the date of its manufacture. There are huge numbers of possible variations of combinations of different cast parts assembled together into the different tanks made by the different prime contractors (not to mention reasonable variations that could apply to tanks that were re-manufactured or which received depot level repairs or maintenance in the field).

Precise and historically accurate replication of the casting marks requires considerable time and effort to get correct information. If you have a specific version of the tank and a particular manufacturer in mind for a model build, you might be able to sort that limited bit out in a few posts in a thread here. The overall general subject is one that entire books have been written about (see my recommendation for the Son of Sherman books, above).

2 Likes

By our own Kurt Laughlin :

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/data/Sherman_Foundry_Symbols_and_Trademarks.pdf

H.P.

3 Likes