M4 Sherman Markings questions

My first real tank build and I have marking questions.

I don’t have a specific tank example so have to work from generic info and imagination. My kit is an M4A1, so I picked Operation Husky, 753rd Tank Battalion, 77th Regiment, Company C (my friend has a white toner laser printer for decals). How (and what) do I display, e.g. “3 Armor (triangle)” etc.??? Research has been very spotty. Every “answer” is just more questions.

For the Sicily invasion, tanks had to add a yellow circle around the star. But many color photos show white and a dotted circle.

Can anyone point me to a source or have some info? Thanks!

My guess it would be as follows:

3(triangle) - 753 (triangle)

then on the opposite side it would be:

C-(whichever tank number in the company)

Similar to this Sherman.

2 Likes

Thank you! Very useful. I appreciate it, and the pic helps.

753rd Tank battalion would be an independent Tank Battalion, not part of 77th Armored Regiment. It would be assigned to an infantry division temporarily as a corps or Army level asset and number codes would reflect that. In WWII, only 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Armored Divisions had Armored Regiments, 1st and 13th for 1st AD, 66th and 67th for 2nd AD, and 32nd & 33rd for 3rd AD. All the others started with a new TO&E that had tank battalions.

Sicily was under US 7th Army so bumper codes might be:

7A 753^, then the Company and Platoon letter/numbers such as A12, B22, C33, etc.

edit- Looking up their history, 753rd Tank Battalion became 77th Tank Battalion in 1949 when the unit was reactivated, and did not become 77th Armored Regiment until 1962. We had 3/77 in 1st brigade of 5th ID (Mech) in the 80’s.

2 Likes

Thank you! I knew 753rd was independent, but had read (apparently way past WWII) it was part of the 77th. Thanks for clearing that up and for looking into it. That helps a lot.

You’re welcome. The US Army likes to change unit designations every so often, and pass on the lineage of one unit to another to keep the lineage in continuity. Sometimes it makes no sense when the numbers change and how they get redesignated, or how the lineage gets passed on.

1 Like

Passing on the lineage, especially to keep a connection, is great. The “sometimes makes no sense” part is what I hear from my friend who works for another US Govt Service, internal, to do with collecting money: he says the bureaucracy is like the Vogons from Hitchhiker’s Guide.

I put some aircraft carrier deck code (where you are in the ship) on my workshop door, but had to abbreviate it because I only got the gist and not the nitty gritty. Even less with the tank stuff. Ultimately I would have a high res photo (multiple) of a real tank, with a nickname painted on the side, and maybe a few websites about the crew. But having a rough idea, and more specific thanks to your info, is good.

Knocked out M4A1 Sherman of the 753rd Tank Battalion 28 August 1944
And another picture of a 753rd TB knocked out Sherman :slight_smile:
Italian civilians walk past two 753rd Tank Battalion Shermans knocked out near San Vittore del Lazio - December 1943

1 Like

That is Gold for me! :grinning:I’ve seen so many of the same pix I can go “ah, that old one again,” and of course bad cropping in many - not that it’s not good cropping, but a tad more left/right and it would show the detail I want! But now, new and relevant pix! Much appreciated.

I also get tow cable detail in the first pic. I made one today, a practice really, I just stripped the insulation from some small gauge (large by number) wire and twisted and voila! I need the end bits though. Now I can see that they were a squared ring welded to a tube, unlike the wrapped around an eye style of the German tanks. I might make some in Blender and 3D print them, but wrapping a cylinder into the link will be - uh, interesting for me (I make brain damaged, trained monkeys looked skilled in 3D).

Thanks again, great stuff.

Here is one from 755 Tank Battalion during the Italian campaign in Spring 1944. Good shot of the bumper code…

2 Likes

Good “shot” of the transmission too!
Ken

San Vittore, Italy. 1-15-44.

Sherman M4.

Preparation for Overseas Movement Markings (or POM Markings). Also in the middle of the front transmission.

753rd Tank Battalion, Company A.

A front view of an M4A1 belonging to this Tank Battallion, possibly camouflaged in Earth Red with Olive Drab.

1 Like

Ehk-sellent as Mr Burns would say. I love the details. Thanks for that.

I’ve seen a lot of code as solid, but this shot of 755 is stencil. I will work that in. Nice to see the color. Too bad (for the crew) about the big hole in the transmission, but better that than the turret!