M48A3 ModB Vietnam

Finished this up recently. It’s the Takom kit. Easy build but the tracks do take some time and care as they are multi part indys. Workable suspension as well so the kit lends itself to uneven terrain if you do dioramas or even a simple base. No real issues that I can recall, at least none that were self inflicted. The original green I mixed up didn’t tone down with the weathering as much as I would have liked so I resorted to a mid olive drab filter to get the color you see here. I redid the weathering on the lower hull and running gear from what I had posted on the **What I did. . .**thread. Since most of it was done with pastels I just sat it in a tub of water and gently rinsed it off. Looks much more natural and not so stark. Once weathered and all the stowage added the entire vehicle was given a dusting of Poly S earth to replicate the red dust of the Vietnamese dry season. That said the red dusting does not show well in the pictures. There will be 2 Alpine crewman added at a later time, hence the open hatch. Vehicle represents a track from the 11 ACR. Only additions to the OOB build was the addition of the stowage, some Legend, Verlindin, Tamiya. I also opted for the top mounted .50 cal. Thanks for looking.

35 Likes

Uhm…speechless!

Love the finish!

2 Likes

Excellent build and finish DV.

2 Likes

Awesome job DV. :+1::+1:

2 Likes

Very nice!! Impressive stowage paintwork. :100: :100: :+1:

The last photo taken from the top makes me think that some new photos with better lighting and a neutral background will make the model stand out a bit more. :wink: :wink: :sunglasses:

1 Like

outstanding work you’ve done there, very impressive indeed.

1 Like

Superb work there, really impressive finish.

2 Likes

50 shades of olive drab…Stunning work DV! Impressive build!

2 Likes

Excellent job DV. Great finish, extra gear looks very realistic as well. Beautiful

1 Like

Beautiful finish you’ve got there mate! The contrast with the various OD bits of stowage is quite interesting and the yellow markings really draw the eye. Two figs should really compliment this nicely.

1 Like

Pictures taken with my phone which I am just learning to use. I will have better pictures taken when I see my friend who takes much better photos.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the great responses. Always nice to get validation from your peers. Really nice kit and highly recommended.

4 Likes

For those interested, I basecoat my stowage flat black. I AB all the individual pieces followed by dry brushing. First I use a lighter shade of the original color. This is followed by lighter dry brushing of a neutral color such as buff or deck tan by Tamiya. Final, even lighter dry brushing is with PollyS dirty white. Lastly, everything gets a wash to tie/blend it all together. Stowage is attached after the vehicle is weathered and both are then given a dusting to tie the stowage to the vehicle. In this case the red earth color.

2 Likes

It’s beautiful. The red dust shows up nicely on the wheels and tracks, while it nicely filters the color of the markings and stowage. Really well done.

1 Like

I looks great.

Cheers,
Ralph

1 Like

This is in my stash . . .if I can make it look half as good as this I’ll be a happy man. Very well done.

1 Like

That looks REALLY good!

1 Like

i like this
for me i prefer damaged fenders and chipped wheels but is clearly a personal choose.
check exaust stain

2 Likes

This turned out quite well. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
James

1 Like

Very nice indeed, you captured it well. :+1: :+1:

1 Like