So my question is the mounting of the .50 on my IDF Sherman. It looks like 2 positions to mount the .50…but the position by the loaders hatch…if it is placed there…how does the loader open his hatch?
Two things - the barrel doesn’t need to be clamped into the clamp you see on the left, so you can either swivel the gun and mount 90 degrees, or elevate it. The hatches will swing upward but there will be enough clearance - they’re not coming straight up, but up and out.
Not to mention that the barrel clamp is showed in the stowed position here. The clamp stands vertical when in use to give the hatches clearance.
As far as how frequently does the loader open their hatch? Well that’s up to the loader, the TC, and the current battlefield and weather conditions.
Would these be wrong? Would they bounce around when moving? I could probably unglue the mounting clamp…but I superglued the spindle…it may sit to high now to engage it.
If you want to stow it as in the bottom photo you’ll want to stow the gun with the barrel pointed to the left, and clamped into the travel lock, which you can probably open up.
Is the top one ok?
For travel? Not optimal.You’d want to do as Stik said and raise the barrel clamp, and clamp the barrel into it.
I may be to late…may have to live with it…I do have 2 more resin printed 50,s…but they are not cheap…and do not want to throw it away…maybe keep it for a future project.
When the barrel is in the clamp, it blocks only the hatch door with the periscope, not the plain one. So the loader can open that door from the inside, reach up to push the barrel from the spring clip and pivot the gun out of the way, then open the other door.
The mounting on the back of the turret was for stowage: turn the pintle 90° left from how you have it in your photo, put the gun in it so that the cooling jacket is in the other clamp, and stow the barrel in the spring clips.
Hey Florida, I don’t remember which M1 you were doing. If it were ww2, you could get away without one as it was about 50/50 on mounted .50’s. If I recall, Israeli Sherman’s typically carried it at a much higher ratio. I would take the one you have on the hatch and turn 90 to left so ammo box is to the back. You should be good then
Jeff



