M59 apc

2 Likes

Can anyone offer up an opinion as to whether the trim vane handle (from driver’s position) is the same as the M113? Hard to tell from the included images.

1 Like

It looks the same but with the handle pointed the other direction, toward the driver’s hatch since the whole assembly is more centered on the hull.

Blow up of the M59 at Ft Knox posted above.

1 Like

I agree this is good news Brian, but the shipping costs from the US seem crazy! I will have to think hard about this one.

1 Like

Mate,

Great news - Newlands has them, and others; see:

1/35 Resin Military Models, Kits, Conversions & Accessories | Newland Models

Mine is on the way! (cue maniacal laughter)

No brainer Terry - you know you want to…

Brian

3 Likes

Here’s the whole mechanism without the trim vane occluding your view:

Visually there are quite a few differences, but if it’s hidden, and if you are a student of the School of Close Enough it’ll be fine. :grinning:

2 Likes

Nice attempt to straiten the side walls.

Cheers,
Ralph

1 Like

Finish line just ahead. Just waiting to add jerry cans and final clear flat coat.
I was able to get the hull sides reasonably flat. The print lines on the rear, ramp and hull top are difficult to remove due to the inclusion of so much detail. The lines are also visible on the outer faces of the roadwheels.
Looking at the rear view, the right rear fender appears to curve a bit. The front “fenders” that are part of the front plate have a curve as well, where these should be just flat extensions of the armor plate.
I used AFV Club tracks designed for the M41, based on the suggestion of Mr Hobby-Link. The supplied link and length are well-detailed, but I wanted to use the separate link approach.
I did not use the supplied “24” tactical markings on the hull sides, as they are distorted when compared with the kit instructions.
Overall, a challenging yet well-detailed kit. The difficulty in printing the large upper and lower hull pieces will give a builder some challenges but as this modeler can attest, it will build out to a nice representation of an otherwise-ignored Cold War warrior.

18 Likes

Love it Jim, outstanding!

What paint did you use for the main colour?

1 Like

Very nice. It came out looking great.

1 Like

Thanks! I actually built this in less than a month, which is unusual for me. I used Tamiya XF-74, OD-JSDF. I added a touch of dark yellow for upper fading, but just a touch.

2 Likes

Thanks Gino.

1 Like

I’d earmarked that colour - upon recommendation - for my build when I start it (God knows when), but nice to see it’s good choice. Cracking model though Jim.

2 Likes

Another good option for the darker post WWII US Olive Drab is Tamiya TS-5. I used it on my M34 a while ago.

2 Likes

Thanks; I must admit finding colours appropriate for the maze of what is what post-war is quite taxing.

2 Likes

Damn, that looks great! I used to play on one of those back in the late 70’s, there was one on display in front of the old Marine barracks at the Philadelphia Navy Yard, used to use my Sea Cadet ID to get in, peddled my bike all over the place, mostly the reserve basin and the end of Broad street to see the ships in the closed off area

1 Like

Very inspiring build Jim, so much so that like Brian …

… so is mine now!

Such an infectious hobby!

2 Likes

You just know now that Takom or, say, Amusing Hobby will come out with an injected plastic version next month.

2 Likes

Glad to help, guys. FWIW, I built the Accurate Armour M114A1E1 about fifteen years back, with an interior, all in resin. It made a great kit, and of course the Takom kits rolled out recently. I made side-by-side comparisons, seeing they were about equal, just not in price. I would like to see an M59 kit without the print lines tho…

It’s what I call the Gino Method: if you build the limited run or scratch-built dream, the injection-molded version will surely appear from over the Eastern horizon!

7 Likes

That’s looking great.

Cheers,
Ralph

1 Like