M60A2 in Germany

Hi tanksgt

Bingo .
77 I was damage control with a centurion Bridge layer. And sat has an alternative crossing for the m60A2. Sorry waste of time three chieftains in the woods kicked butt and all the m60s sim fire went off. That’s when I got a drive and look at a Sheridan.
Second time was 78 this time I was in a chieftain AVLB.
So do I presume standard colour scheme not desert then ?
Thanks ossie

1 Like

I think that would be the safe bet. Could you imagine the cost to ship a full battalion over to Bremerhaven. They would have to be rail loaded down to the exercise area than back again. My unit did a passage of lines through a Chieftain unit. Then at night after a night attack we had a blue on blue battle with a Chieftain unit. I was a Sheridan crewman before moving to M60A1s in 1978 with the 11th ACR on the East German border. Stored tanks would have been in MERDC or OD depending how long they were there. When our tank company received new tanks their old ones went to POMCUS.

2 Likes

Yep, did that a couple of times. When we traded in our M1IPs for M1A1s we actually delivered them to the POMCUS site in Holland. We had a nice little train ride there and I think we took a bus back.

Here’s an interesting photo for you all, taken in Conn Barracks in Schweinfurt in the late 70s. The two tanks in the foreground are in MERDC but the one in back is still wearing MASSTER.

Ken

5 Likes

Thank you
ossie

1 Like

WHen I built the original Tamiya kit while in Germany, I took the hull TO THE MOTORPOOL, and placed it on the fender of my tank. I matched the color in sunlight. As I built later iterations, I would keep the previous one, to rematch the color exactly. Basically it was OD, Humbrol at the time, that was what was sold at the German hobyshop, I think I may have added a smidge of flat black. justa smidge.

3 Likes

A couple good options are Tamiya TS-5 OD and AS-17 IJA Dark Green. They are good approximations of post-WWII dark OD.

4 Likes

Hi
Visiting Germany in April 78 we were chuffed to see the WINTER VERDANT scheme out in a road run on some armour, I think M113 and M60. Between Kaiserslautern and Heidelburg.
Cheers

1 Like

@Jakko I was stationed at Ft Hood Texas 1974-1976. When I arrived virtually all of the vehicles were freshly painted in MERDC winter verdant. There were a couple of battalions in gray desert - one was an M60A2 equipped armor battalion. I was struck by how effective the camo was vs the OD vehicles at my previous post.

4 Likes

I have searched high and low for MERDC camouflages of M60A2, and apart from the ever-present winter verdant, the only one I have seen is grey desert.

Cheers
Christian

1 Like

I just checked the date on TB 43-0147 Color, Marking And Camouflage Patterns Used On Military Equipment (which sets out the MERDC scheme) and it says December 1975, so I got the introduction time not quite right :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like this photo for showing how dark the OD of that era was compared to FS 34087, which is the color of the searchlight.

6 Likes

I usually use Tamiya TS-5 Olive Drab Spray Paint for replicating the OD used in vehicles from the 1960s; while I use Vallejo Uniform Olive Drab Spray paint for my WW2 vehicles. both are very contrasting in terms of colors.

Tamiya TS-5 Olive Drab, on an Academy M113A1 ACAV.

Same color on the early phases of my M60A3 TTS “Frankentank” build. Don’t mind the non-matching parets; I swapped them out long ago.

Vallejo Olive Drab spray paint on a Tamiya M4 Sherman Early production.

3 Likes

Yeah, I like having a variety of Olive Drabs in my paint drawers. Can’t have the motor pool looking too much alike… :smirk:

2 Likes

Don’t say that to a Sgt. Maj., he’ll have you repainting every vehicle in the unit until they do look alike!
Ken

4 Likes