M818 5-ton Tractor Conversion

Nice tight build Gino and I really like the MERDC paint. It came out great.

Excellent job as usual Gino. Great job on the camo

1 Like

Thank you, gentlemen. I like how the MERDC came out as well.

1 Like

Brilliant job Gino. Love the paint job.

1 Like

Thanks Denimo.

2 Likes

Gino, did you see the pic of the hood? It fits fine and its’s yours if you want it.

(Maybe pettition2god can take over Mikey’s work - unless he’s coming back?).

2 Likes

PM sent. Thanks.

1 Like

Nice camouflage

Cheers,
Ralph.

1 Like

Thanks Ralph. I should have another update soon.

1 Like

Incidentally Gino, is that support bracket channel, I-beam or what?

Just asking.

For the added supports under the front fenders, I used C channel styrene, with the C opening facing down. I have simplified it though. My version is close enough to portray the parts, which most people have missed.

In reality it is a much more complicated structure which looks to taper at the top and the horizontal rod actually attaches differently.

4 Likes

Were these supports on all M809-chassis?
From the beginning or added later due to reasons?

1 Like

Yes, they are/were on all M809 series trucks. If you look further up in the thread, bsoppet points out (and shows a pic) that some late M39 series (M54s) also had them added. Apparently, there was an issue with the front fenders sagging.

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

True enough. Gino, I must confess I am one of the “most people” who missed that detail.

EDAS!

1 Like

The truck is done with construction and basic paint. I added air lines and the brake connector wire from 1/24 spark plug wire with James Lee’s 3D printed gladhands. I marked it as a truck from 2ID, 702 MSB in S. Korea with homemade decals. The next step is weathering.

Here she is.

Some details.

I also laid down the passenger seat to make it into the gunner’s platform. The AFV Club seat is in two parts, lower cushion and back part, so it is easy to do.

I have also started on the trailer for it. It is an M129 box trailer used as a maintenance/shop trailer.

I started with an old AMT 1/32 reefer trailer.

I cut it down to the proper 28’ 8 1/2" length. Then I covered the ribbed sides with 0.020 sheet styrene and added rivets with a rivet wheel. I built up the frame and the rear axles using parts from an Italeri M923 5 ton and “C” channel styrene, along with resin copies of AFV Club’s wheel hubs. I will use DEF Model 5 ton wheels on it too. Lastly, I added the marker lights on the sides and rear lights left over from the AFV Club M54 kit.

Here it is so far.

I haven’t decided how I will paint it yet. I am leaning toward overall green for some variety.

13 Likes

Phenomenal work Gino. The truck is looking fantastic, love the MERDC, and the trailer is excellent!

Thanks Matt. It’s getting there. I like how it is all turning out, especially the trailer. I hope to get some paint on it tonight.

2 Likes

Hobby Link is making some trailers…

1 Like

Yes they do, but I already had this one and am happy with it.

Failed miserably there. The Stanley Cup final is really cutting into my bench time. :grin:

Go Panthers!!!

1 Like