M871 30' Flatbed Trailer Conversion

The capacity of the M871 is 22.5 tons. That is what I was thinking as part of the load.

1 Like

You could also fit a pair of Tamiya M1025 Humvees, or Italeri M998s if you cans find them.

1 Like

I thought about that too, but only one fits on the M871 30’ trailer, so I would still need something else. I have a spare 15Kw Generator that would fit too. Maybe. :thinking:

3 Likes

I got some more work done on it this weekend (mostly Sat as today was a beach day!).

I added the side panels. I made them out of 0.020 sheet styrene with C channel styrene for the poles. I also used the C channel at the tops w/hand holes cut into them. I forgot to take pre-paint pics. I painted them in a sand, green, and NATO camo for some variety.

IMG_2576
IMG_2577

I also started working on the cargo. I built an engine storage and shipping container from pics and dims on a surplus site.

Here is my version, made out of sheet styrene, C channel styrene, L angle styrene, and some bolt heads.
IMG_2574
IMG_2575

Painted. Just need to make decals for it.
IMG_2579
IMG_2580

I also started on some MRE pallets. I took a file I had of the old-style MRE and rearranged them into a stack 6 high, with four sides connected. I then printed then onto a brown paper bag. Once printed, I cut it into a strip and made a 28mmx28mm cube out of sheet styrene. I then wrapped the MRE strip around the cube and added the top cover.

Actual ones.

My versions so far. I am waiting on MiniArt pallets to come in to strap them to.

IMG_2578

Since this will be a USMC truck/trailer from ODS ('90-'91), I am also thinking about putting some rolled up T142 track, M60 road wheels, and maybe an M60 cupola on pallets. Also some wooden crates, maybe some rolled tarps, a generator, etc. in back. I plan on filling it up.

8 Likes

Oh yea, no big deal, just threw it together in about 30 minutes or so, eh?
Seriously, that looks great!
Ken

PS, if I need something scratch built, I’m calling you.

3 Likes

That engine container is superb… MRE pallet came out great as well …

1 Like

Thanks gents. The container actually wasn’t that bad, just a box with a curved top and adding bits and pieces to it. I’m sure you could do it as well.

1 Like

Superb work Gino! Your info on where to cut, what to trim off the rear and all the load variations is really inspiring.

1 Like

Thanks Denimo. Just got the pallets in the mail today. I should get to them soon.

2 Likes

I had a few days off due to Hurricane Idalia and was stuck in the house. Prayers for those affected. We were spared here in Tampa; just some wind and rain.

I worked on the M871 while cooped up and finished it up. I got the MiniArt pallet set in and discovered that they are not right for modern pallets. They are Euro pallets which are too narrow. The MREs are the size of a modern pallet.

IMG_2581

They are easy to fix though. I cut the two outer boards off of one pallet, and added them to another pallet.
IMG_2582
IMG_2583

Once glued together, it is the correct size. All you have to do is adjust the underside supports and you are set. It took 3 Euro pallets to get two larger ones. I was able to get nine pallets out of the set, which originally came w/12 Euro pallets. I was able to cobble together an extra one from left over cutoff pieces.
IMG_2584
IMG_2585

Here is how they look with cargo on them. Each piece also has shipping labels and is properly tied down. I also made a couple water bottle case pallets in the same manner as the MRE pallets. Since it is a USMC tractor/trailer combo from ODS (Op Desert Storm, '90-'91), the cargo includes: T142 tracks, M60 road wheels (both steel and aluminum), and an M60 cupola.

IMG_2589
IMG_2588
IMG_2590
IMG_2594

Additional cargo. The wooden crates are from Miniart as well.
IMG_2591
IMG_2592

Here is all the cargo.
IMG_2587

Here is the trailer weathered with a couple sand and brown washes, some green chipping, and some sandy drybrushing.
IMG_2597
IMG_2598
IMG_2595
IMG_2596

And with the cargo loaded.
IMG_2602
IMG_2601
IMG_2605

I mated it with an M931A2 Tractor I had built a few years ago.

IMG_2600

I gave it an overall update while I was at it. I added instrument and placard decals in the cab and added the air lines and power cord back to the trailer, along with James Lee’s 3D printed gladhands. I also added a few other details and decals here and there to spice it up a bit.
IMG_2603
IMG_2604

This “quick weekend build” turned into a couple weeks, but was really fun and I am satisfied with how it turned out. Building all the cargo and other added items really added to it, but were well worth it.

7 Likes

Well worth it in my opinon. Outstanding job on the cargo.

1 Like

The extra effort certainly paid off Gino. A lot to look at and all of it outstanding.

1 Like

Damn, that looks good Gino!

1 Like

Thanks gents. I really like how it came out.

1 Like

Amazing work. Really excellent

1 Like

Thanks Richard. It was a fun and rewarding build.

1 Like

Really great work Gino!

1 Like

Thanks. I really enjoyed it as well.

1 Like

The cargo looks great. Open top I assume with a tarp rolled in the front top of the trailer!

Cheers,
Ralph

1 Like

Thanks for the comments. It is done, no tarp on this one.

1 Like