Making realistic truck mirror glass

Hi all, I’m looking to make my military vehicle mirrors as accurate as possible. I’ve tried brushing Vallejo enamel silver, but it doesnt dry to a gloss. I read online about Molotow liquid chrome markers and wonder if anyone has anything good, or otherwise to say about this or any other product out there.

TIA

You can try Mylar film . Buy an infilled ballon at the Dollar Store . Microscale foil adhesive works well .

They can work for chrome work but not sure about a mirror, I would be tempted to use Bare Metal foil for a mirror.

1 Like

I have used the Molotov markers and they were fine, just make sure once done, you keep the mirror level until the liquid chrome is dry.
I have also used the silvered inside of a choc bar, cut to shape. Worked great and you can rub it with cloth to give it a bit more of a reflective finish.

1 Like

I simply use chrome silver paint. I put it on thick so it flows around the mirror and levels out. Once dry I hit it with a couple coats of clear gloss. It comes out pretty good, not a mirror finish, but pretty close. It looks close enough for me as a good “representation” of a mirror in 1/35.

A couple examples.
IMG_2275
IMG_2714

2 Likes

Well, I’d like to use the potato chip bags, they got really nice metalized layer inside, and I glue them to the mirror with thin layar of white glue. You can see the results if you look close on the photo below:
zil131_08.jpg
I hope this helps - thanks for reading and have a nice day
Paweł

6 Likes

I use Molotow Liquid chrome paint pens.

The 2mm paint pen works excellent for lenses and mirrors

2 Likes

As ‘SableLiger’ mentions the Molotow ‘pen’, I also apply ‘liquid’ glass over the Molotow application…

If I’m doing vision blocks on armor, and depending on the shade used, I use Alclad Laquer to paint up the blocks, then when nearly finished with the build I install the painted blocks. I also apply the “Looks Like Glass” once the blocks are installed, and the weathering is completely finished.

2 Likes

Ifr you’re trying to replicate the ARD coating on modern periscopes, you can use SMS color shifting paint.

1 Like

All the “junk food” (yum!) wrappers are mylar, just wash them really good before using. You can also buy an "emergency blanket, or “space blanket” at sports/hunting/outdoors shops - used to cost a few bucks, and there is enough for hundreds ~ thousands of applications. Molotov is also excellent, but flood the mirror with just one pass (don’t do any touch-up as it will spoil the finish). I’ve found that any unused Molotov in the pen will degrade to a dull gray in a year or so.
:smiley: :canada:

1 Like

If it’s still around, you can use adhesive chrome tape as (or used to be) provided in automotive accessory stores; it used to come in rolls like any other adhesive tape. Just cut to size and apply.

Thanks for all the advice and ideas guys. I’ve gone with the Molotow and the Looks Like Glass.

1 Like