Meng Chieftain Mk10 build

Well, I was never an armoured corps soldier but for what it’s worth: go with the pics from Tamnkograd, not the instructions. You can’t go far wrong then.

Berlin vehicles were very much in the public eye, or at least the (potential) enemy’s eye, filling a sort of representational post as it were, almost a diplomatic role in presenting the intention of the western Allies, so, this would all lead to a fairly clean finish. That doesn’t mean of course that they didn’t exercise in the Grunewald or wherever, in which case they’d be filthy like most operational AFVs.

I’m sure Johnnych01 and Maximus will chip in here with far more accurate views than mine (although coincidentally enough, I did work with Clendon Daukes - I was his Clerk - when he was the GSO3 (Ops) at a Div HQ, prior to him assuming the Berlin Squadron command, and his ultimate devising of the Berlin FIBUA scheme; small world the Army, sometimes).

1 Like

Cats I have that book from tankograd and it’s excellent. It really helped when I built my chieftain. I used the old Tamiya kit with the AA conversion set several years ago before all of these plastic ones came out. It’s still one of my favorite references; it’s that camo pattern I love so much. Lots of other cool vehicles in there too.

1 Like

Do black wheels. I would do the lower hull areas behind the wheels as standard NATO green. And tracks would wear as normal. Berlin Brigade tanks may of worn out tracks more as they were used on a very regular basis if not daily compared to normal BAOR ones.

The cover image of the tank on the grass (and if not that one, then one was done like this before) was for a visit by HM, and the wagon was parked at least 1 to 2 weeks prior to allow the grass to grow back and get the track marks to be invisible. This then allowed time for the tracks to begin to rust, and so they were repainted black in situ, this then caused black paint to go on the grass, and yes, you know whats coming next. the grass was repainted a shade of green. 100% genuine.

Ref them being shiny, I wouldnt worry about that to much as they were probably petrol and oiled before the photos were taken. Also, they not have even been using NATO black paint as with most units, if you dont specifically need it, dont order it, so bearing in mind the Berlin Cam, they would in all likelihood of used normal black issued paint.

3 Likes

Lol that’s an interesting and incredibly funny story John and sounds just like something an Army would do to impress a VIP or Royalty.

1 Like

As an enlisted man I was involved in a nighttime paint-the grass-green operation before an AG’s visit to battalion HQ, so the analness seems to be universal among armies!

2 Likes

Yup agreed, black wheels with brown gearbox and engine decks as usually they pick that out as green. The Berlin Brigade Chieftains used to come to Hohne every year to do CABF which was Confirm Accuracy By Fire which was probably the only time they got particularly dirty.

2 Likes

Thank you @Johnnych01

1 Like

Thank you.
@BootsDMS
@Maximus8425
@metalhead85

Small update for today.
The rest of the suspension units assembled. Even though I labelled them Meng have made the locating tabs different shapes on the middle and rear units so it impossible even for an idiot like me to get it wrong LOL.

Meng want the builder to put all the stuff on the upper hull before joining them, I thought that was asking for trouble so I joined them.

Meng also want you to leave the suspension units off until much later. I attached them because I will be painting the lower hull, running gear and fit the tracks ASAP.

All the wheels assembled, at least the main ones have no sprue attachment points on the tyre surfaces.

I made a start on the turret. The fit is Tamiya level so far.

6 Likes

Its an ugly tank but the kit looks nice and you’re doing a great job on it.

1 Like

It may not be a real looker to some people, but it did the job and paved the way in a few areas for the development of tanks and if I had to of gone to war in it, I would of felt happier in my Mk10 & 11 than anything else at the time.

1 Like

The gun was spectacular, if you hit something it was dying more often than not. Also that gun has the longest ranged kill of the first Gulf War, just over 5000 metres (3.1 miles) so not to be sniffed at.

2 Likes

And it had the QFC shoot as well, which a lot of people dont realise.

Some fantastic photography here Sir.

1 Like

Thank you. With £25K + invested in camera equipment and photography a hobby for sixty years I try to make the best use of it.
It is time consuming though, it took me several hours just to get the sprue shots right.

2 Likes

Knowing a little about the industry… you can take some shots of my work anytime. :slight_smile: Thanks for the inspiration.

1 Like

Small update for now.
Finished the turret. I have left off the baskets, MG and not glued the commanders cupola in position. It will make the masking for the urban camouflage much easier as well.

The baskets are made of a number of parts with some PE.

I thought it was a nice touch to provide the plastic formers to get correctly shaped PE.
Below is the final result. A real struggle for me.

The hull masked ready for primer and painting tomorrow.

5 Likes

Your build is looking great Cats, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:, it’s convinced me that I need to part with some hard earned pocket money and buy one, :slightly_smiling_face:.

G, :beer:

1 Like

Looking good Colin. I do like the inclusion of the plastic formers to get the etch in the correct shape.

1 Like

Thank you.