Meng Chieftain Mk10 build

Thanks John that would be very helpfull.

If only the engines were RR instead of Leylands there would have not been the issues with them!

A labour of love for the masking.

And the result.

Still plenty to do, more pictures after Thursday when I am not being a husband & grandparent.
Please can someone tell me what length the radio antenna’s would be IRL?

6 Likes

2m whip antennas (they are just over 2m but they were just called that).
You could also remove the top section and just have a 1m battle whip.

Paint looks great Colin. Although some find it a bit boring, I happen to love the green and black… You’ve done a lovely job with it :+1:

Decals are in the post btw, I just popped then in ok :+1:

Are the side plates secure or dry fitted ? And did you redo the running gear in green as they look black still ?

Thanks for the kind words, information and of course the decals, I did remove/repaint the wheels green.

5 Likes

Cool … Was just the angle of the pic :smiley::+1::+1:

1 Like

Yes and the flash umbrellas are quite high up. I will be taking that it to account for the final pictures.

1 Like

Great masking job, and that is quite a job! It turned out beautiful though. That camo looks absolutely perfect. That just screams “Chieftain” in the green and black. Fantastic model.

2 Likes

Small update. Turret baskets attached. I have done some basic weathering steps and thanks to @Johnnych01 I have decent decals.
Pictures taken while oils/pigments still wet. Waiting to see what its like when dry and of course it will be a lot less shiny with a coat of matt varnish.
Please can someone tell me if the fire extingushers should be green or red please? I I have googled it and it is about 50/50 ATM. On Prime Portal the Mk10 has green ones but a picture of a CR1 in GW1 has red ones?

4 Likes

Dot filter looks good! I really like what the blue adds to it. That’s a solid looking tank you’ve got your self.

1 Like

Colin, couple of things. Extinguishers should be green. They only went large red/ green when they changed type and brand, which happened over the Ch1 time frame.
The front part of the barrel may have a twist in it as the MRS shroud should be straight and vertical… Yours has a slant to the right unless it’s a dodgy camera angle…
And the 32 call sign. It shouldn’t be painted straight on the rear of the turret. This is my fault as I should of explained it… The rear turret C/Ss would go on a loose metal plate, reason being if a wagon became broken and the commander had to switch tanks, he will just remove the C/S plate and fix that to the tank he jumps onto. Hopefully you still have the other 2 ?
The CFE is neither here or there really. Didn’t often see them chalked on, but it is only there to show the wagon is Certified Free from Explosives, as a quick visual check, like when it’s finished on a range period and is awaiting transport back to camp etc…sorry to be pain…

The build looks great though and I like the results of the oil dot wash, very effective :+1::+1: … And I love the green and black cam… Looks lovely

Do not bust a gut changing the rear C/S … It looks nice as it is and it’s only me being an old (very) tankie who worries about it lol :grin::+1:

2 Likes

Thanks John. I expoxied the AA resin barrel and it must of moved so now I will have to live with it.
I have got the CFE’s and numbers off using sellotape. I will leave the rest alone.

1 Like

No probs Colin, shame about the barrel, Ive had that happen a few times …
It is a cracking build though. Looks like a proper Chieftain … Big and mean. :+1:

1 Like

Fine looking kit

1 Like

Calling it finished before I get carried away with weathering.

6 Likes

Is it not possible to carefully cut the muzzle off and re-stick it in the correct position?

Possibly but with my run of luck in the last few months I would probably screw it up.

Nicely done. Not overly weathered. :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Nice paint job.

Olivier

1 Like

Nicely finished Colin. That’s a good even understated weathering. The oil wash turned out good as well. Good job on a firm old favourite of mine :+1:

1 Like