Meng GAZ Tiger STS

Hello
I’ve starting this model that I had in the stash since 2014. The large sheet of decal to depict the lining of the cab scared me hence the kit waiting its turn to sit on the workbench.

The build is quite straightforward and there is no trap so far. Unlike what Meng states I haven’t completed the interior before gluing the cab floor to the undercarriage. The front wheels can be steered.
Applying the decals was not as difficult as I thought. However cutting the decals needed some attention especially to cut the many holes in some of them.

Olivier

1 Like

The cabin interior is done. I just need to add the ceiling lamps. Then I can either paint the body separately which will save some masking of the chassis or glue it over the chassis before.

2 Likes

Looking good. I like your work on the interior. Will you be putting ammo boxes, backpacks, etc. to spice things up a bit?

Mario

Mario
I really don’t know right now. First I need to source some modern Russian stuff. Then I must check where I could add more things. The inner walls are already filled with ammo boxes. At first I thought of the platform but it obviously is the gunner platform hence it should be free of any obstacle.
So no decision made so far.

Olivier

10 days without working on this little thing. I finished assembling the interior and weathered it a bit. Perhaps I could do more on the floor. 3 of the 4 doors will be open to help see inside. The rear one with the spare wheel holder will remain closed.

Olivier

The cabin is glued on. I needed a bit of putty here and there but nothing major. The rear door is glued and the spare wheel holder is still mobile to facilitate the painting of the door. It should be glued as well in the end.

Olivier

1 Like

Nice.

What are your plans for the paintjob, monochrome green or a camo pattern?

Mario

Thank you.
I’ll go for the 3 tone camo.

Olivier

The base paint is done. I used the following Tamiya refs: XF-78 Wooden Deck Tan, XF-64 NATO Green and XF-1 Flat Black.
The camo is one of the options of the instructions. You’d better start by painting the vertical sides before the top because Meng top view does not match with the others.

Olivier

2 Likes

Olivier, I think this is supposed to be hard edge camo pattern?

Mario

You’re right. Let’s say I use my artistic license :grin:
However this should be an easy fix if I decide to modify the camo.

Olivier

1 Like

Thanks to Mario :wink:, I spent this afternoon on the workbench to fix the camo edges. Knowing the soft edges were a mistake it would have been a shame not to correct them.
I also came across a series of pictures of this camo during a parade in Moscow where I noticed that the rear wheels were painted tan and not green.

Olivier

2 Likes

I’m glad you decided to redo the scheme. It looks great now! :wink:

Mario

1 Like

Looking good so far, Olivier! :+1: But why do they have camo pattern inside? Is it to confuse the guys not to find their own instruments … :smile:
I’m not really familiar with russian military vehicles but this seems to be the counterpart of the Dingo?

1 Like

It is more the size of the Italian Lince or LMV than the Dingo. The inner camo is in fact the fabric over the padding.

Olivier

Beginning of the weathering with a filter with Sienna oils and a dark brown wash. The doors are all closed for the moment to facilitate the weathering. I’ll show them open except for the rear right one.

Olivier

2 Likes

Olivier, how did you glue the doors to the body when you intend to open them again afterwards? I have used White Glue (Ponal) for the drivers door on my Dingo. So I hope I can open it again in the end … :open_mouth:

I used the French equivalent of Blu Tac.

Olivier

Don’t know what your planning but it looks so nice it would be cool if you just apply a very light weathering, maybe just a filter.

Maybe I have overdone the weathering :wink:
Let’s say the Tiger crossed a muddy puddle.

Olivier

6 Likes