Meng: Kubelwagen | Armorama™

Meng announces a 1/35 German Pkw.K1 Kübelwagen Type 82 (North Africa) model

This is partial text from the full article (usually with photos) at https://armorama.com/news/meng-kubelwagen
5 Likes

Having built a few Meng kits, this should be a perfect fitting, fun weekend or holiday kit. Looks nice.

1 Like

Models like this make great additions to dioramas and display cases, paired against bigger vehicles. They were ubiquitous.

If the kit only has vinyl tires, I will pass. Purchasing replacement tires will push the price high enough to compete against some very nice models. Since Tamiya’s kubelwagen has plastic tires, it would remain the better option for me.

If this is more expensive than the very nice Tamiya Kubelwagen, I will probably pass. I am not building for contests.

If the model comes with decals for the dashboard instruments and stencils, it becomes more appealing.

As a much less skilled model builder, I do not find models like this to be ‘fun weekend builds’ because of the need to paint and detail the interior. That automatically makes the model difficult. Anything that eases painting the interior increases the appeal of a model like this one.

Takom recently released a Sd.kfz. 250/1 with a significant number of extra stowage pieces. They greatly increased the appeal of the model. If Meng adds similar extras to this model, such as a raised roof, some extra jerry cans, some rolled tarps, and so forth, it would become more competitive.

Including two sets of plastic tires in one box, both normal and desert type, would also increase the appeal.

Including markings for many vehicles, especially generic numerals for the license plates, makes repeat purchases much more likely.

2 Likes

Looks good, but not with vinyl tyres…

1 Like

Very good points.

I’ll post the same comments here that I posted yesterday on Tracklink. I’ve just finished doing a lot of research on Kubelwagens for a new Peko book I’m working on and unfortunately the mix of features shown in these drawings means you will only be able to build a very limited production Kubelwagen:

1. The Modelling News has more preview photos and Meng is also providing the bracket to mount the horn in the early position in front of the driver’s door as an option. This makes it much more viable as a North African vehicle, since the horn placement at the front fender/in front of headlight was not instituted until roughly vehicle 13,000, which entered production in about August 1942. Thus, they would not have arrived in North Africa until the fall of 1942. I looked at about 25 photos of Kubels in North Africa and found a picture of only one in Tunisia with the horn in that position.
    However, Meng’s kit still has the wide motor skid/protection plate that was introduced around April 1942 at vehicle 9000, so you will still be limited to modelling one built between April and about August 42, given the steering wheel and early fuel cap - see below. (vehicles between ~9000 and ~14000 body numbers). So realistically one of these would not have got to North Africa until around May 1942.
  2. The CAD drawings show the early fuel cap. This was used until about vehicle 14,000.
  3. The spare tire mount is the early type that was replaced with a different style with shorter “Spokes” at about vehicle number 15,000/end of 1942.
  4. The steering wheel appears to be the early style with broad spokes. This was replaced with a steering wheel with very thin spokes in mid-1942.
  5. Missing is the external electrical lead for the windshield wipers. This was present up to body 25000/the middle of 1943, so would be on all North Africa vehicles. Easy to add I suppose, but it’s not just a wire, it has a unusual shaped fitting on the “hood” where it enters the body.
  6. The windshield brackets have the late flat, rubber stopper which was not instituted until 1944; early vehicles had much larger cone shaped rubber stoppers.

On the plus side, you get one of the more unique patterns of balloon tires - there were three different patterns and only recently have I seen some 3D print ones with this pattern.

It would have been far better for Meng to do an early Kubel, rather then re-hash what’s been done by Tamiya, Dragon, Hero, etc. I’ve only seen one early conversion, and that was just recently, a 3D printed conversion from Japan (unfortunately out of stock or I would buy it). Short rear fenders, narrow engine skid plate, straight exhaust pipes, early door handles, etc.

4 Likes

Just a bit off-topic.
But did any of you guys propose a book series about the major ww2 kitted vehicles, what the kits want to represent and how to correct them with annotated pictures. I mean lists are good and all but pictures will help greatly.

1 Like

@ignoramusRex The Tankcraft series does exactly that. Plus they include what aftermarket is available, paint colors, build logs and build, finishing,and weathering tips.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Tankcraft&i=stripbooks&crid=L71ZU7SXX17G&sprefix=tankcraft%2Cstripbooks%2C72&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

1 Like

Close but no cigar, a half of those books seem to be the operational history of those vehicles and such.
I would like lists like Jon’s or like those on 4bo green but with a picture of the dubious part with an exploded view of what it should look like. Be it only in electronic form I don’t mind. I would not extend to PE set as those have problems of there own.

@jfeenstra looking forward to August to the launch of the book.

1 Like

Yes, the Tankcraft books don’t do much with regards to actually building a vehicle - they just showcase a few builds and list model products. But the history is very useful, especially the books written by Dennis Oliver.

And the August release is TTL4, my Kubelwagen research is for TTL6 :blush:. But either way, thanks for the vote of confidence!

1 Like

Another brand that made a mid/late version? Please, not another one. Make an early version pleaaaase.

1 Like

You’ve obviously researched this vehicle quite well. Were I to get back into WWII German modeling, I don’t think I’d let a single one of those factors deter me from purchasing the kit.
Most sound easily “fixable.”

1 Like

The newer Tamiya release was a very nice build.

Only drawback is that it does not come with an engine, but the Kubelwagen Maintenance Set comes with said engine separately.

2 Likes