Meng Leopard 2 A7+, Washed and filtered

Just to add onto what iwatajim posted about inserting a post to bring up the rear deck a small fraction, I found on my Meng 2A7 hull that the hull sides near the front part of the hull were sort of ‘angled in’, and thus when trying to fit the upper hull piece to the lower, there was a gap between where the 2 pieces are supposed to come together. I was able to fix this with a length of sprue inside the lower hull to spread the hull sides just a tiny bit…worked great!

2 Likes

Jim, what, if anything, do you use as a template for the Berlin camo?

I was thinking about this in bed trying to go to sleep last night (as you do…).

As the pieces of masking tape need to be squared, it seems to me that you would need to first check the fit of a length of tape, adjust, then square the ends. This gets more complicated with multiple pieces of tape to increase width. It would seem to be simpler if there was a template showing the pieces ‘flattened out’ - i.e. just use the template to pre-cut the pieces and skip the fiddling around with measuring and adjusting. There was a template made for the Takom Mk.10 Chieftain.

https://imodeler.com/2021/05/chieftain-berlin-brigade-camouflage-masks/

I assume it would work for the Meng kit, the latter being my preference as I have heard it to be better in some respects that the Takom one. You would be more knowledgeable there. However, it seems that the site hosting it is no longer available.

http://www.workbenchhobbies.com/berlin-brigade-painting-and-weathering-mask-set/

Peter

1 Like

Peter, I’m afraid for me it was lots of studying pictures to decide on the precise scheme then taking measurements on the kit and cutting appropriate pieces of tape using the cutting mat as a guide for square edges. I actually found the process to be rather satisfying, if time consuming, and by the time I’d finished I was almost getting the hang of it! It is surprisingly straightforward once you get into it(sorry, very bad pun).

As for the Takom vs Meng kit, I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend the Takom having built that one, and the Meng looks to be a great kit in the box. The only thing I noticed with the Meng was a slight texture on the armour side plates, but I’m sure it wouldn’t be an issue under paint.

And something I also found. If you have left the tape lying around collecting dust it’s best not to use the edge as a straight line, as the contamination with dust particles can lead to bleeding, best to cut a fresh edge or, better still, keep the tape in a dispenser etc.

Results using eyeball, patience and much swearing…

4 Likes

Very helpful and interesting, thanks for the detail Jim. Both the Chieftain and Challenge look superb and inspirational. Still deciding on whether to commit to such a project, but certainly very interested in the Berlin camo. Need to do some more research including the Takom and Meng kits!

Following your Leopard 2 with the kit on the way as well.

Peter

1 Like

No worries Peter, happy to help. My Takom Chieftain build is archived on the old site, this link should work;

And the RFM Chally 2 is in this place;

I must say, go for it, the challenge is well worth it for a really interesting piece.

Jim.

1 Like

@iwataJim: Jim, I’ve written this before, but I feel compelled to say it again, your Berlin camo for your Chally and Chieftain are just fantastic! I have taken a break on my RFM Chally 2, but I’m still planning to do that tank in the Berlin camo, DESPITE the fact that I did apply appropriate surfaces with anti-slip, which I know you intentionally avoided on your Chally so as not to make its harder to mask off the very square camo colors (the anti-slip potentially allowing paint leakage under the masking). I’m also planning to get a Chieftain, but I’ve only got about 200 models to build, first! LOL

2 Likes

Very useful build and masking for the Takom kit. Thanks. Quick question, what did you use for the curved masking on the turret? Tamiya tape for curves? I’ve never used it…

The Takom exhaust elbows appear a bit thick, I know there are aftermarket though.

I think I’ve highjacked your Leopard thread enough though :slightly_smiling_face:

Peter

1 Like

Thanks again Curt @cabasner .

Peter @FlatChat, I bought some of the Tamiya tape for curves but couldn’t get it to stick properly, it would work on a more gloss finish I suppose. So I just used normal Tamiya tape for it all. When you use a thin strip for the edge it can be curved quite successfully.

I know John @Johnnych01 used some aftermarket exhausts and I think he was happy with them.

J.

2 Likes