Meng Panther A late WIP

Ah yes, the missing zimmerit on the sides, I was hoping no one would spot that :joy: Honestly, I didn’t really check over the build when I grabbed it from the attic and just start painting. Looks like there are a couple of other patches of zim missing on the rear plate and a lifting hook has gone awol. Lesson learnt to double check older builds and references in future!

Finished the basic painting of the tools, added the bow mg, periscopes and driver’s visor cover. Some tidying up to be done but will come back to this later.

Moved back to the lower hull. Added the jack and started a bit more detail painting. The lower hull is ready for a gloss coat tomorrow, then onto the oils :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hi all,

Some more progress on this one. Completed the basic painting of the upper hull and turret. I added some scuffs and scratches in the paint which I kept to high travel areas. Looks a little stark at the moment but I intend to blend them in a bit with the oils

Everything got a coat of gloss and I started the pin washes.

Happy with the results so far, on to the upper hull tomorrow. I was hoping to get the tracks started too but my compressor decided to give up when I was cleaning up after the gloss coat :slightly_frowning_face: Have a new one on the way so hopefully won’t take too long to arrive.

3 Likes

Pin washes on the turret and upper hull are now complete. Tried to do a little fading / blending on the turret top and hull deck but the effect is quite muted.

I haven’t really done anything on the zimmerit either as I’m not sure whether to apply washes to it or just leave it until I get to the weathering. Any tips?

2 Likes

Nice work so far on the model mate! I’ve been meaning to build a panther for a while. My past two efforts have all been stopped due to me messing up a part or two.

For the zimm, I can suggest using a lighter wash rather than a dark one as I find using a really dark wash like I normally use on the panel lines makes the whole vehicle darker than usual. Sometimes I also apply dots of light yellow ochre oil paint and a light-earth color oil paint and use the oil-dot technique and blend these together across the model’s zimm to replicate dust and the paint fading. A friend of mine even suggested you do a wash of light dust pigment instead. Whichever you choose to do, good luck!

1 Like

Cheers @kunjuro, I like the pigment idea so will probably give that a go.

My new compressor turned up faster than I expected so have made steady progress the last couple of days. Decals, matt coat are on and the tracks have been painted and fitted. Closest it’s looked to a panther since I started painting!

Started work on the weathering, applying mud to the lower hull. Still a fair amount to do here before the upper hull can be fitted but happy with the progress so far.

6 Likes

Oh yes! Liking this! If you’ve put a dark wash on the Zimmerit, if you dry brush it with lightened camo colours it will really “pop”. It may not be super realistic but you can always tone it down with further washes or dusting.

1 Like

Hi all, upper and lower are now together. Spent a bit of time weathering the tracks and lower hull sides but it’s not that clear in the photos. I’ve been using my iPhone so far but will look at taking decent photos with my DSLR when it’s finished.

Getting the upper and lower hull together was a little troublesome and has left a few areas needing some touching in. If I were to build another I wouldn’t do it this way again! Moving on to the rest of the weathering next.

9 Likes

:+1:t2:

Cheers,
C.

1 Like

Hi all,

I’ve taken a pause on the Panther and have began prepping the ground work for a small dio. It’s very early stages at the moment, just been getting the basic structure in place.

The idea is that this will hopefully at some point look like bocage hedgerows. I’m leaning towards a scene where the Panther is using the hedgerow as cover, waiting for a target. I’ll also be doing some figures but haven’t decided on what sets to get yet.

Building a dio is pretty new to me, especially when it comes to creating foliage. I have the grass covered but does anyone have any recommendations for the bushes on the hedgerows? I have a set for making them but would be interested in any good quality pre-made products that are out there. I’m not convinced I’ll do a good job making them :joy:

2 Likes

I carried on working on the base this morning, spraying a few mud tones and dry brushing the hedgerows.

Then I went a little mad with the static grass and grass clumps. Quite happy with how it has gone so far but clearly needs some toning down / blending in. I was thinking a matt coat or some kind of sprayed filter to tie it together, but not sure on the what colour to use though.

6 Likes

So, first attempt on making the hedges and ivy, I like how the ivy came out but not sure on the hedges. What do you guys think?

2 Likes

Carried on working on the hedgerows. I wasn’t sure if this was actually going to look any good but I’m pretty happy with the overall result :slightly_smiling_face: I think a green filter will help blending it all in

7 Likes

Shaping up nicely. :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Looking awesome!

1 Like

The hedges just keep looking better every update. Impressive work! I would say you could even add a bit more foliage volume to them.

Marty

1 Like

Thanks guys :slightly_smiling_face: overall I’m really happy with how the groundwork has turned out so far. I’m going to replace the grass in the larger field section with longer static grass though, I don’t think the grass tuffs look right.

I’ve had plenty of diorama plans over the years but never actually got around to trying to build them! Usually I end up finishing the tank and leave it at that. I wasn’t convinced on making the hedges but turns with the set I used (treemendus bushes and shrubs set) it was far more straight forward than I though it would be.

I’ve got the figures on order now so will be working on those when they arrive before returning to the Panther. Hope to do a bit more work on them the base tomorrow.

Where did you get that set? It looks really great!

@tankerken If I recall I purchased the set from Ebay a few years ago but you can buy direct from their website. Its the hedge, bush and shrub kit. Good value I think as I’ve barely used a quarter of the kit so far.

https://www.treemendus-scenics.co.uk/scenic-kits-variety-of-seasons-hedge-bush-shrub-kit-mini-kits/

Thanks!
Ken.