Mi-8 Trumpeter 1/35

Our local modelling club had its first competition in 4 years so I entered my Hip.

12 Likes

Beautiful. And what a beast.

1 Like

Thank you Varanusk, and now where to put it?
I wanted to add these two photos as well since no one will ever see this work.

And the scratch built rear wait gun position.
sidegun
Anyone that knows this kit will know how much scratch work was done to it.
Thanks for looking

6 Likes

Great job. It looks really nice. How did it do in the competition?

1 Like

High praise coming from you HeavyArty! It came second. I believe it was you that originally encouraged me to “go for it” so thankyou for the encouragement…it was a long process.

1 Like

Beautiful job!
Always wanted to do one of these in 35th scale and put it in a diorama……so many ideas and so little time.

1 Like

Great looking big beast there William- really like how the camo looks on it. I have this kit too and I was just wondering how it went together?

1 Like

Great work Boggie, congrats, it looks fantastic! Must be a sure winner!

1 Like

Great model, well done on that. Did you use Lemkits’ outriggers or scratch your own? This is a project I’ve contemplated myself, great to see it realised.

1 Like

Karl,it is the only 1/35th scale Hip that I know of, I knew I had my work cutout for me and that is how I approached it. The rear clam shell doors didn’t seem to fit on mine and I had a heck of a time getting that together because I had it all painted. I didn’t want the rear doors open. The rear gunners hatch took a long time to resolve as none of the existing panel lines were way off. I really enjoyed painting this one because there were so many references that showed these in really hard shape. The clear plastic isn’t thin so I replaced many panels, the cockpit seats were fiction, no interior detail but that was ok. The main rotor is very heavy especially since I used lead to wire everything, I should have used a metal axle and epoxy for the main hub support and rare earth magnets to attach the rotor to the body, that way I could remove the rotor for storage, this thing is huge!

2 Likes

Newtonk, thank you for the kind words. I used LEM’s outriggers,rocket pods and exhaust coolers. They all worked very well. The resin has copper wire running through it for support and you can use those copper wires to pin the delicate frame to body of the chopper. The hard points that are included had various degrees of detail on the resin so be careful to put your good face forward. I used Profi Modeller for the door winch, excellent item. I also used Scale Aircraft Conversion white metal landing gear because I knew the plastic gear wouldn’t hold the weight of the finished build. For the show I sat it on a sturdy turntable but after It remains on the cradle I built for it.

2 Likes

Bosco, I was hoping it would as well but my Albatros DIII won first prize in aviation, I cannot complain. Thanks for the kind words.

1 Like

metalhead85. I wanted to make this into a diorama as well, that was the plan. The time it took me to finish this was unreasonable and I had new kits waiting to be built so I understand.

1 Like

William, what inspired me to do a diorama with a large helo was while attending the MFCA show in Vally Forge Pennsylvania several years ago, Greg Cihlar ( don’t know if you’re familiar with him) did a beautiful diorama of an Mi-24 Hind crashed on a hillside in Afghanistan or something with guys pulling wounded crew members out. It was incredible so I always wanted to do something like that. Your excellent work on this helo is further inspiration!

1 Like

Here is a pic of that Mi-24 dio I was talking about.

Not sure if it’s supposed to be Afghanistan or maybe Chechnya??

2 Likes

Metalhead85, I did see this piece before but not in person, it is stunning! I will do some searching for other work by him. I seem to remember he did another of a similar striking angle but I can’t remember what it was right now. This is remarkable use of this kit, such an evocative diorama, thanks for reminding me about this.

And there is the Afghan Hip matted to a truck; another fantastic dio.

1 Like

Greg Cihlar did a number of books for Verlinden. His work is amazing. I had a chance to meet him and chat at one of those MFCA shows about 2 years ago.

1 Like