Military memories anyone?

I was normally on C-23.But for one ARTEP, they put me on 25 (Plt Sgt’s tank) Driver went over a slightly exposed boulder, and damaged the same bar, left side #1, but we had to change it in the field, not the MP

1 Like

Yes, we switched from M60’s and A1’s to A2s from Nov 75 Alpha co. / Bravo Co. to Jan 76 C Co.
(my company)

1 Like

Have now uploaded some Bright Star 97 images above :+1:

2 Likes

I did Bright Star '90 while with 24th ID (mech).

2 Likes

OK, here you go! All this reminiscing here and on the 3/64 post started to bring back some old memories, so I dug out some of my old photos and ran them through the scanner. Enjoy!
Charlie Company, 2/64 Armor, Conn Barracks, Schweinfurt, FRG 1981-82.

Even as late as the 70s and early 80s conditions in Germany were very primitive. Conn was an old Luftwaffe fighter base protecting the ball bearing factories in Schweinfurt. The living quarters were the old barracks for the Luftwaffe pilots and troops. Our motor pool was the old hard stands for the fighters, surrounded by grass and mud. The “fence” was triple layer concertina wire. This photo I found on the internet, it was taken in the late 70s.

And a couple I took in 1981. Note the hi-tech grass cutting system.

A few in action photos:

In 1982, we transitioned onto the brand new M1.

Thats it for now.
Ken

7 Likes

That grip on the .45 - for all the world it looks like it has a gold dragon on it. Something like you’d find in Korea. But we know that’s not possible. Right?

Your MP seems to be even more beat up than mine in Erlangen.

The .45s that we had were so old and worn out that the barrel rattled slightly when shook.
When the 9s showed up we were quite surprised to see that they hit where aimed.

3 Likes

As long as the slide didn’t rattle you were good…

2 Likes

Nope, sorry! Thats just its inventory number painted on the grip. All our pistols had a number on them. A little trivia - I still have that field jacket. Unfortunately, I don’t quite fit into it anymore!
Ken

2 Likes

AFV Club M60 A3 and Miniart Sheep- great combination!

2 Likes

I was over in Germany from 1978-80 with A Battery,2nd Bn 20th FA at Wiesbaden. We had M109A1’s. Here are some shots at Grafenwohr, every GI’s favorite vacation spot. Summer Graf - Dusty or muddy. Winter Graf - Cold and muddy.

We whitewashed our tracks the evening before. There was freezing rain overnight and they shut down the tank trails for safety. By the time we moved out, the ice was melting along with the whitewash.

Did I mention it was muddy at Graf? I would have liked to take my 35mm camera to the field, but that was to bulky. So I used a Kodak instamatic which fit into my ammo pouch.

6 Likes

Really dig that pile cap Ken !

1 Like

We rarely got to wear the official winter uniform.

1 Like

Love those photos! Especially the camo nets, really nice job on them.
@metalhead85 Not the height of fashion, but they did keep you warm. I still have a pile cap and wool scarf around someplace, if I can remember where!
@HermannB Could be! About that sheep post, there was a lot of discussion about the shepherd’s trailers. In my photo you can see two of them, painted blue.
Ken

2 Likes

Still have my scarf but no pile cap lol and several sets of BDUs (that no longer fit lol) and my large ruck

Some pics from 84-86 in 2d Plt, D Co, 3-64 AR, Schweinfurt FRG. Pics in snow are Hohenfels Training Area.

6 Likes

We had the nets down to a science. :wink:

1 Like

Love that winter camo.

1 Like

Great pics and yes that winter camo looks great! May have to do up an M1 with that paint job.

1 Like