Mini cordless drills

I have no clue as to how this work with a multi speed.but I never had any problem with tuning down the cheaper fixed speed,and didn’t experience the tool overheating,in fact I’m shopping again for one to do again.

1 Like

Another gadget into the fray…

I just stumbled upon this tool while surfing the web. Though I don’t own one of these, I thought it might be of interest: DSPIAE USB Charge Portable Electric Micro Sanding Pen

And here’s a YouTube reviewer testing it out on different materials.

—mike :hammer_and_wrench:

3 Likes

Looks weak.
I prefer tools without batteries (I have access to mains electricity at the workbench).
When I need a low powered tool I use a cheap one.
For really fine work I prefer non-powered tools.
Fifty bucks feels a bit much for the delivered performance …

3 Likes

I have one of these and it’s fantastic. It’s low speed enough that it does not melt plastic but it’s torquey enough that it doesn’t stall. The grinder bit removes styrene and resin material like nobody’s business and the drill and sanding attachments perform just as brilliantly. It’s light weight and small size make it super easy to handle (it’s pen sized as opposed to a massive Dremel) and it’s dual speeds make it adaptable for almost any job. It’s easy to keep charged and being cordless it doesn’t knock things off your bench while your using it. I love the thing, give it 5 stars, and highly recommend it.

5 Likes

Received my ‘DSPIAE Sanding Pen’ from Amazon and immediately pressed it into service.

Pros:
• As advertised, it works very well as a grinding/engraving tool.
• Powerful three-speed motor (5000/10000/18000/min).
• Good torque.
• Small size for access to tight spaces.
• Easy button presses.
• Good battery life.
• The included bit is very useful.

Cons:
• 5000 rpm… NOT SLOW SPEED
• Comes with only one bit. Additional 3mm shank bits sold separately.
• Does not accept standard 1/8" shank bits.

Workaround: In order for the motor to accept my 1/8" shank bits, I reamed-out the chuck to 1/8" diameter. It now accepts my other bits.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with the company and I am fully aware that modifications void any warranty and do not officially recommend the procedure.

———————————————————————————
———————————————————————————

STOP THE PRESSES! AMENDMENT FOLLOWS:

I got around to comparing minimum rpms on my tried and true ‘Dremel 4000 w/Flex-Shaft Attachment’ and the ‘DSPIAE Sanding Pen.’ As it turns out, both their lowest speed settings are identical: 5000rpm.

Regardless, I find both tools have a welcome place on my workbench.

PS: The same ‘DSPIAE’ tool can be purchased on AliExpress for roughly half the cost of what Amazon charges — they just call it something else. HTH.

7 Likes

Any power tool that goes near my models reaps destruction and havoc.

3 Likes

Generally we’ve all learned (hopefully) that in styrene modeling, Dremel = destruction. But this DSPIAE grinder/drill is light, gentle, and precise. It’s small and slow enough that it won’t skip and cause havoc across your model surface. And at $18, it’s a good investment.

4 Likes

I can’t find anywhere indicating the rotation speed in rpm. Would it be difficult for you to let us know?

2 Likes

@ Yuri (fromSalekhard). No problem. Their ad (3rd image) states: 5000/10000/18000/min (assuming rpm).

2 Likes

Uh oh. As usual, I did not get the “no Dremel” memo.

Two years ago, I received a corded Dremel as a Christmas present. Quality is so bad it cannot hold a bit straight. When used, the bit comes lose in seconds. It cannot drill into anything.

The rotary tool it replaced burned up after maybe10 uses.

Pin vice drill bits purchased from three different model shops also suck.

The only good tool I have purchased in three years is an air compressor.

1 Like

Has Dremel quality gone downhill?
They were good when I bought mine 30+ years ago

3 Likes

Unknown. Perhaps mine is defective with a bad chuck.

3 Likes

Strange, Dremel has a name and all I have seen are good tools -despite not suited for plastic modelling because of its high rpm, as it has been said…

Glad to know about DSPIAE, an option when my old cheap one stop working

2 Likes

So, everyone step away from your Dremel. This type of tool is what you want. 500 to 25000 RMP and controlled by a foot pedal. Various grades of this are available, however this is the tool of which you seek. The foot pedal has a bolt that can be used to set your preferred RPM, so it can be as precision as you need. Dremel needs the speed to build the torque.

3 Likes

Here is another option
https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?q=best+hanging+rotary+tool&mid=AAF40FBD79994960DB9AAAF40FBD79994960DB9A&FORM=VIRE

2 Likes

Flex shaft motor video
https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?&q=Pendant+Motors&&mid=72E458AC8383C65634C172E458AC8383C65634C1&&FORM=VRDGAR

Foredom flexshafts
Foredom® Buying Guide (youtube.com)

Bing Videos

2 Likes

DSPIAE have an official hobby tool store on Ali Express here -
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1101888826/pages/all-items.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_home.pcShopHead_6001912808110.1&sortType=bestmatch_sort
No worries, I’ve ordered from them several times and they are totally legit.
DSPIAE are also available from HobbyEasy -

2 Likes

i ordered a drill from temu for $15 that had a low speed of 3000 rpm, it comes with several collets, drill bits, buffing wheels, cut off wheels and barrel sanders. when i got it, it was the 5000 rpm. i contacted them and they are sending me another one. they made no mention about returning the first one. i have a feeling this will be the same speed too.
Joe

1 Like