MiniArt European Farm Cart | Armorama™

New MiniArt kit is coming soon, 1/35 #35642 European Farm Cart

This is partial text from the full article (usually with photos) at https://armorama.com/news/miniart-european-farm-cart
1 Like

I am absolutely no expert on this matter, but that does’nt looks very familiar to me. Looks more like a western style wagon. As far as I have seen something like that (at least for Germany, Switzerland or Austria), they are of rather different construction. Perhaps someone knows more…

1 Like

Looks very similar to an old farmer cart old an old southern farmer used to have out in the foot hills of North Carolina in the 1960’s that I saw as kid.

There are lots of wagons around in pics of the Wehrmacht retreating. I’m not sure this is that, but I wouldn’t be suprised if it were some kind of regular thing made in the Soviet Union.

wagon behind my favorite unidentified car

The Diorama Police are currently investigating this item. Why different sized front/back wheels in a peasant economy? Harness arrangement for horses missing? Haystacks not included? Our dear Ukranian friends must be cut a lot of slack in the circumstances, but this is a strange one unless photo-refs can back it up.

1 Like

Why Are The Front Wheels Smaller Than The Rear Wheels On Wagons?

As the diameter of the wheel increases, the draft size of the animal needed to pull the vehicle decreases, hence making it easier on the horses, mules, and oxen to pull the wagons and carriages. So, a wagon with 48" wheels will pull easier than a wagon with 24" wheels. Now for the second part of the answer; if all wagons had 48" wheels front and rear, we would have an engineering conflict. When we try to steer the wagon, the front wheel would strike the body and reduce the turning radius.
[…]So, to overcome this conflict, we lower the height of the front wheel just enough to level the wagon and increase the turning radius. The results are a maneuverable, easy pulling vehicle.

(from https://www.hansenwheel.com/)

3 Likes

The Diorama Police thank you for your evidence, the wheels are innocent and free to go. :police_car:

4 Likes

This picture looks familiar to me… :wink: (I’d put my money on a 1935 Oldsmobile…But I’m digressing !.)

H.P.