MiniArt Soviet Trucks-Also Done Wrong?

It seems that ICM has gotten their German and USA trucks wrong.

I also wonder about MiniArt and their Soviet trucks. Did these get done wrong as well? I’m hoping somebody got something right!

Tom you have not explained yourself well her bud. I am none the wiser what the issue is after reading what you have written.

Tom I think I found what you refer to and one thing I will say is if you say something is wrong someone will provide a period photograph to prove otherwise and so dont get too caught up in it. German Ford vehicles were produced in captured factories and so without parts coming from the US I suspect quite a few things got worked around. I like ICM soft skins despite flaws both actual and perceived, but I will admit their prices are starting to reduce my interest in some cases.

No, I am really curious about how MiniArt did with their vehicles.

Having no idea of the topic of this thread, I just want to point out that Henry Ford came to Germany in 1930 for the groundbreaking ceremony of Ford Germany in Köln (Cologne). From 1932 on, this plant produced cars from German-made parts - and still does today.

There is another thread where the accuracy of ICM truck kits has been questioned.
This thread is about Miniart.

My view, or general answer, is that nearly all models have, or seem to have, some
inaccuracies, major or minor. Screws shown as rivets instead of countersunk slot screws (huge issue for some fans of US halftracks). HobbyBoss GMC 2.5 tons trucks with closed cabs have too short cabs and too long fenders. Huge issue. Italeri hard top cabs are more correct but their wheels are too skinny. The list goes on and on.

The modeler has a simple choice to make: Build it or don’t build it.
Find something better, correct the faults, wait and hope for aftermarket, give up on this subject and build something else, ignore the faults and build it anyway because it is close enough.

Picking at faults is usually a waste of time that could be spent building and painting instead.

2 Likes

Not necessarily, knowing the faults allows the modeler to choose what is acceptable to them for their project.

If it’s just wheels, a modeler can upgrade in the case of Italeri or if it dimensionally you fix or live with like HB. Sometimes just knowing is difficult to find. Off hand I don’t recall to many Miniart kits getting the red line treatment that other kits have received. That could be true or just bad memory, I don’t know.

Gents I am not trying to argue with you I am just putting an answer for consideration. The thread that Tom was directed to in an alternate thread shows a model to be wrong and then later someone else throws up pictures that would look to make it more accurate. Take the subject of the T-34 and the numbers produced over so many locations that differences catch out experts let alone laymen.

It’s a case of do you want to spend a fortune of money and time on a kit that isn’t even accurate? That was why I also wanted to know about MiniArt Soviet trucks, if they are accurate or not. Seems they should be but I have no way of knowing.

I would be interested in the answer too as I don’t know either.

Quoting myself:
“The modeler has a simple choice to make: Build it or don’t build it.
Find something better, correct the faults, wait and hope for aftermarket, give up on this subject and build something else, ignore the faults and build it anyway because it is close enough.”

Knowing the faults is sometimes a blessing and sometimes a curse …

I can forgive some faults but not to the point where it doesn’t come close to reality.

What does it mean “wrong”? Wrong dimensions? Wrong details? If yes, which are those and why do you think they are incorrect?
Without the details it is just a flame statement.

100% agree and the risk we run when researching a kit.

1 Like

Define “close to reality”.
Each model builder may have his/her own definition of ‘close enough’

OK - I’m confused. The only issues I’ve seen in forums lately (on another site) referred to ICM’s new Chevy 1.5ton truck, where there are dimensional issues with the front hood (too wide IIRC?) compared to the real thing. I’ve heard nothing about the corresponding Miniart Chevy trucks, and my own example is still in its box waiting for bench-time, so I haven’t checked it against references yet. Is this the spark that started this thread?