Mitches 1/16 USMC Vietnam

Evening folks, I’ve had my eye on this one for a little while now so, time to rise to the challenge.

Now, this has the potential to become something really special, however, it does come with a few challenges. The sculpting of this piece is absolutely sublime but, it’s going to take a lot of work. There’s a lot of heavy seam lines present and quite a few of the parts have some roughness on the castings. Here’s the parts breakdown.

One of the first problems, a big mismatch in the tree parts.

Some parts will also need extensive reworking or replacement. Here’s the water bottle.

The M16 has to go as well. Here’s the kit part next to one from Reedees. Big difference.

There’s a few choices I’ll have to make with this one regarding other details so, I’ll be asking a lot of questions as the build progresses.
Updates hopefully soon.:grin:
G.

5 Likes

I always liked this one… I do remember someone pointing out mistakes at the sculpt, but I really don’t remember what forum it was on. Planetfigure maybe?

Anyway, looking forward to seeing your magic, Vietnam vignette should be right up your alley mate.

Mario

1 Like

Yep, this is a good one. That rifle you got from Steve will work just fine. The trouser side pocket was incorrectly sculpted, if I remember correctly; planetfigure, but that’s an easy fix.

I love the Nam era, Ruck On! bookmarked.

1 Like

As far as I can tell, this chap is wearing the second pattern jungle fatigues with the exposed buttons on the side pocket. The centre pleat gives it away too. I think these were only in use until ‘66 or so.

Seems I’ve got a few choices here. Leave the trousers as they are and swap out the M16 for an M14, skip forward a few years and redo the trousers to the more common 3rd pattern and keep the M16. ‘69-70 onwards and I could paint them in lowland ERDL. That gives me the option of giving the chap one of these bad boys….

Made a start on the base though.

Love to hear thoughts on this?
G.

7 Likes

I saw that coming… Not even the slightest hiccup for you! :nut_and_bolt::hammer_and_wrench: :smile: Looks perfect!:ok_hand:

—mike

1 Like

Seamless recovery just about covers it. Very precise and neat work. Will be tagging along on this one. :+1:

1 Like

Your results are great. I had thought about getting that kit before….now not so much.

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words lads, although, I really was wanting your input on the jungle fatigues :joy:. I think I need to start checking how it’s worded before I post……:grin:
G.

Ryan, I’d recommend getting it. To be honest, all of the faults are fixable and the good things far outweigh the bad. The potential for something really special is there. It just needs bringing out. Go for it, mate!
G.

i was going to warn you about thr trouser pockets being wrong as well as the flap that covers them is longer at one side than the other, glad you picked up on it.

1 Like

i saw this kit at a show in Scotland a few years ago and the pockets being wrong just stood out like a sore thumb, so i opted not to buy it either.

1 Like

Great work so far mate, the tree is looking brilliant.

1 Like

Thanks Karl, long way to go yet though. The groundwork on the Alpine marine took me about a month so, I might be a while on this :grin:
G.

1 Like

I made a mistake earlier, thinking they were the second pattern fatigues. They are actually the first pattern which places them early war. Here’s a pic. Not great but best I could find.

s

Looks like a bit of surgery is in order to make this fella later in the war.
G.

3 Likes

I will see how your build goes.

1 Like

Anyone know if the M203 was used by the USMC in Vietnam ‘69 onwards?
Thanks,
G.

I’ve not seen any pictures of them issued it and they took pride in using older “salty” kit so my gut says no.

3 Likes

This one nearly snuck me by Lazarus, was amazed at how out of alignment the two parts of the tree were, :roll_eyes:, that said, I’m really looking forward to seeing this one evolve, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:.

G, :beer:

1 Like

Shame about that. It would have made it a bit more interesting. M16 it is then😁
G.

Not sure if this link might help answer your question Lazarus?

G, :beer:

1 Like