Mitches Military Models: Chindit, British XIV Army | Armorama™

Mitches Military Models has released as 120mm figure kit depicting a soldier of the British Fourteenth Army during its WWII campaign in the Far East.

This is partial text from the full article (usually with photos) at https://armorama.com/news/mitches-military-models-chindit-british-xiv-army

Sorry Chaps - this doesn’t cut it for me. If my comments seem scathing, well, it’s how I see it. Starting from the top: the hat brim is way too small and is unlikely to be worn with one side up whilst in the jungle. The webbing is way off: ammo pouches look a bit flat, and bear some weird “X” shaped stitching which I’ve never seen before. However, given that the Indian manufacturing industry was geared up to producing '37 pat webbing, let’s be charitable and assume it’s of such local ilk hence the stitching quirk. Water bottle suspended by an anti-gravity device (not the webbing buckles it should be attached to), not quite sure what the haversack/small pack is doing on the left hip as it would normally be worn on the back using the “L” straps; it’s not the Officer’s Haversack as it has 2 buckles not the one. Of course, if this is all based on a photogrpah then fair enough.

Lastly, I’m not sure what’s going on around the ankles; if they’re meant to be Anklets (gaiters) then there are no buckles and straps shown. If they’re meant to be puttees then they’re very porrly rendered with no folds or securing tabs (as I understand it, puttees were the preferred option in the jungle, not anklets, although I’m sure the latter were worn at some juncture).

The Rifle No 5 Mk 1 looks about right but is missing its sling.

These days there is plenty of reference material available re ’37 pat webbing so this is really, and sadly, a pretty poor effort in my opinion. It can be seen as a somewhat complex equipment system but as I say, there is more than enough on the web, in addition to reference books to enable sculptors and modellers to get it right and depict it properly fitted.

Finally, as I say, if this is based on a picture then fair enough but the details need tightening up.

Overall? Not good enough.

4 Likes

'Just noticed that my spelling is also not good enough; apologies!

I don’t mind your comments. I know there are modelers who think of the pose, the subject, the impact, and do not worry about authenticity and realism of the figure. I do like the figures I’m painting to be as close to the real thing as possible.

I think the sculptor is Maurice Corry, a very talented man indeed, but the speed he’s pumping out new sculpts probably leaves less time to do a complete research?

Mario

Well, if that’s the case then it’s a shame; the pose is certainly acceptable (though I’m no large scale figure painter) but if speed means overlooking some of the important details - well, important to me - then that will certainly detract from the figure.

Given the size of the figure then really the detail shortcomings - for example the waterbottle I’ve described - really do stand out. I wouldn’t have thought that amending the moulds would take that much time but I’m no sculptor/manufacturer.

i suppose my real point is that of '37 pat webbing; it shouldn’t be as hard as it appears to get right. The www is full of details. 1:35 modellers could do well to take note too - waterbottles for instance cannot just be affixed to the outside of a tank hull - they (and indeed all other equipment) have to be secured somehow.

I’ve just, after around 30 seconds of Googling, found this image (which less the uncovered waterbottle) is, I think what the sculptor was trying to depict:

How representative it was of the 14th Army Infantryman’s method of wearing his equipment I don’t know, (not very according to some sources) but the point is the method of securing the waterbottle is clearly shown.

This is not to carp for the sake of it, but rather to point towards a modicum of accuracy which one would hope to encounter in such a model.

I have to agree with you here Brian- resin kits are not cheap and if I am shelling out for one I want it to be as accurate as possible. As you pointed out things like British webbing details are very easy to find online in great detail so it should be easy to see what is right and wrong at the sculpt stage. Perhaps, as you mention, the subject is based on a photo, which is fine but if not then this is not really the accuracy level I would expect from a resin kit, especially not one that is usually as good as Mitches.

Thanks for the support Karl; I probably come across as quite unforgiving when it comes to webbing but that’s mainly because I’ve worn/cleaned/polished the damn stuff for nearly 3 years of my life(!)

I took a look over on Planet Figure and apparently Maurice has amended the gaiter straps. Here is the link.