Mixing AK paints

I have been moving from Tamiya to AK paints due to AK’s larger range of colors. I recently painted an F4F Wildcat with AK’s version of Blue Gray and am not thrilled with the color. The paint itself is great, I just feel like the shade is too light and too blue. I have some AK Air bottles of darker grays and I think mixing in a bit of one of those will get me to a color I can live with. So, my question is, rather than just lose the two jars of the paint, can I mix AK real colors with AK Air successfully?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you, and happy New Year to all!

Michael :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t think so. AK Real Colors is a lacquer and AK Air is a water based acrylic. The Real Color will curdle the Air when mixed. Better to find a grey in the Real Colors line and mix that in to the blue.
Happy New Year!

1 Like

Yes,would kind of be like trying to mix Tamiya and Vallejo paint

1 Like

OK, thank you! Glad I checked.

2 Likes

I believe you can mix AK real colors with tamiya.

2 Likes

Yes you can.

2 Likes

Ah, now you’re talking! I have plenty of Tamiya paint. Thank you!

2 Likes

Now that I recall, I used tamiya Buff to lighten the AK real colors schwarzgrau on a Panzer I to good effect.

Very good news. Does anyone know if Tamiya mixed into AK Real Color will cause it to degrade over time? I want to mix a fairly large batch so I can use it again on more than one model.

1 Like

I cannot confirm but I doubt there will be any problem. Both thin well with Mr level thinner so I suspect they will remain mixed

2 Likes