Modelling armour in Ukraine crisis

@Khouli

i have just finished another fun packed 15 hour night shift which involved dealing with a lot of people on her trying to literally rip each other to shreds, one individual was suggesting in very clear terms that he and another member should meet up in a car park and settle their disagreement physically. sorted that out on friday at 3am

then i ran into similar issues last night and finished fixing those at about 1.30am, whilst i was at work, so i’m sorry if i sound narky but i have a gut full and then some. i have been a moderator here and on other sites and right now i have never had a more horrible experience and i don’t even get paid for this!

i try and use humour to defuse bad situations but right now, i am all out of stock on that and i feel like i’m the only moderator trying to keep this on an even keel.

right stuff it, i’m off for a shower, 3-4 hours sleep then back to work for more 15 hour fun sessions.

no hard feelings,

Klaus

4 Likes

@Klaus-Adler : I hope you don’t mind me keeping posting pics, in an attempt to keep this thread from derailling… :wink:

H.P.

9 Likes

@Frenchy keep posting them HP, i think you might be the last sane member of this site so please keep doing it!

5 Likes

Will try to ! Here’s a bit more info about the "egg box ERA "

https://www.outono.net/elentir/2022/03/13/the-egg-cartons-of-the-russian-tanks-the-poor-protection-of-many-t-72b3-and-t-80/

H.P.

3 Likes

I imaging those bags would be extremely heavy full of sand.

There’s stuck, then there’s Army stuck, and THEN there’s Russian Army STUCK. It’s neat to watch General Mud removing Russian tanks from the war.

2 Likes

Those tanks are not abandoned at all,
they are just in what is known as a hull down position,
trying to blend into the ground …
Some branches and dry leaves, maybe some snow and
they will be perfectly camouflaged.

I wonder how many Ukrainian farm tractors it will take
to pull them out of there …

Edit: It is too late in the season for them to be hibernating …

1 Like

The most embarassing part is that General Mud and General Winter are well known in large
parts of Russia. Both these generals provided excellent support when A Hitler tried invading
the USSR and NOW the Russian army is falling into the same trap.
They must be like car drivers in the Stockholm area who manage to forget about winter
and act as if they had never seen snow when the horrible stuff returns next season.

1 Like

Or a Toronto Star reader, at that

Oh and by the way everyone, I may have found an NLAW to suit our needs!!

4 Likes

The Ukrainian mud in spring has to be seen to be believed,” said one British journalist during the Soviet offensive across Ukraine in 1944. “The whole country is swamped, and the roads are like rivers of mud, often two-feet deep.”

Looks like the Russians should have known what to expect though…

H.P.

3 Likes

Outstanding Frenchy, that video is an excellent find!

I’m inpsired to save egg cartons, get a couple of small bags & make some Russian skirt armor for my pick up truck…lol

Maybe failing to take that well known mud into account is why Putin sacked ~ 8 generals & some intelligence folks…lol

1 Like

I think he sacked them because they told him what he wanted to hear
and then he got upset when the world and his wants didn’t line up.
Now he needs some scapegoats to sacrifice …

I am absolutely gobsmacked at this. I’m assuming that because this is being videoed and put online that the wagons have been abandoned due to being stuck and are being recovered by Ukrainian forces as I imagine the Russians wouldn’t be advertising their sheer incompetence. That is the better part of a squadron of tanks just left in place, it looks like the crews have just got off and walked away! Some are running so they have fuel and I would imagine at least a partial bomb load.

2 Likes

The last video I’ve posted was shot on a Russian training range, not in Ukraine (according to the caption)

H.P.

Haha OK that’s fair enough, but you know what? it would seem that situation is being played out again and again in Ukraine. You learn from your mistakes which is what training is all about at the end of the day, you might be embarrassed but nobody died. However it would seem that lessons learnt have not been remembered or passed on, which I would imagine is a very real problem when dealing with a conscript army. Short service time means those lessons are lost when the soldier leaves the forces.

2 Likes

but the officers training the conscripts need to repeat it every training cycle.
They teach them to dress properly, make their beds, clean and handle personal firearms,
train to drive tanks, train to fight using the tanks.
Failure to educate about soil conditions is simply inexcusable.

2 Likes

Don’t know how true this is but I did read somewhere that Russian Sergeants are just better educated conscripts sent to Sergeant school to learn how to be an NCO! There is no experience gained from going through the ranks as in most western armies, lessons aren’t learnt they are taught but there is no substitute for experience. Officers tended to be chosen for political reliability, whatever that means and would have no more experience than their soldiers. Now granted the Generals and Lt Colonels who seem to be getting knocked off with alarming regularity must have gone through the ranks, but who is to say they actually had a hand in the training of their own soldiers? It may have been left to those inexperienced senior NCO’s, hence what we are currently seeing. It’s just a thought.

2 Likes

All you need to know about the Ukrainian soil (in French) :wink:

https://www.futura-sciences.com/planete/actualites/meteorologie-ukraine-raspoutitsa-menace-enliser-forces-russes-97214/

H.P.

2 Likes

A certain resin manufacturer known for quality products has expressed extreme interest in doing Javelins, NLAWs and yes, even that soft armor. He now has everything he needs. As I used to say in the past, it’s on him now.

2 Likes

Im genuinely shocked by the whole Russian approach once they were in country. From the lack of awareness and IADs on ambush contacts etc, to how they operate in convoys - Like seeing a 3 lane road full of MBTs with no cover and other bits of Armour just sat there… and the way they seem to abandon any vehicle at the drop of a hat. I get it that these are probably not 1st line units and they have taken ground in various areas, but still, it tells a story that I imagine a lot of western Generals and Planners are happy to see…

1 Like