Models in films and TV

Hugh Laurie tries to buy an Bf 109-E for his son from model shop ran by Stephen Fry in British comedy series “A bit of Fry and Laurie” in “Mr Dalliard! We’ve been activated”.

2 Likes

Here are a few that I could think of off the top of my head.

“Easy Money” …"Rose, there’s a Messerschmitt in the kitchen. Clean it up, will ya”?

“The Butterfly Effect”

“Corvette Summer”

“Employee of the Month”…“How’s that B-52 coming along”?..“Oooohhhhhh…cherry”.

Cherry??? :roll_eyes: :open_mouth:

Randy

2 Likes

Brilliant, people actually making kits. :+1:

1 Like

In episode 11, season 2 of Malcom In The Middle, Commandant Spangler builds a Italeri Panther (with a tweezer fitted to his arm prosthesis ! ) :

H.P.

3 Likes

In Star Trek TNG and DS9, both Captain Picard and Sisko had models on display in their Ready Rooms.
Picard had the USS Stargazer and Sisko the USS Saratoga, ships they had previously served on.
Both ships were kitbashed by the shows model builders using the AMT Enterprise and Reliant kits along with greeblies from other kits.

Sisko also had a large model of the International Space Station and a Daedalus class starship.

ZRXIa

I also remember once seeing the AMT Romulan Warbird on someone’s desk, but I can’t remember the episode or even what series at the moment.

3 Likes

It was Military Modelling. I used to get it every month and remember that issue. There that dates me! Catherine Schell on the left.

2 Likes

In Catch-22 mini series, Major Major builds a sailing ship model :

H.P.

4 Likes

Now that’s funny!

I used to get drunk with Phil many times in NYC.

1 Like

True Detective season 2, Colin Farrell built models trying to bond with his son, but it seems he was more into it and did most of the work.

Not our style of modeling, but in 40 Year Old Virgin they had Steve Carell doing some figure painting. Not the best look for us, but I suppose not entirely inaccurate

1 Like

In the episode Contest, from the BBC sitcom Bottom, Eddie is seen building a mashup of the Airfix 1/24 Spitfire and B-17.

3 Likes

“A Little Bit of Fry & Laurie” on YouTube:
Model Shop

5 Likes

There are several scenes in different episodes and seasons of Battlestar Galactica where Commander (Admiral) Bill Adama is working on model wooden ships.

I think the quote was something like “You don’t know how many times I’ve had to fix this thing.”

Speaking of tall shiop models in film - this from a movie I find highly underrated:

3 Likes

sounds like it might be pretty good.

It is :wink:

H.P.

I always wished they would have made a couple or three sequels to Master and Commander. The books are really entertaining.

BTW, I though of one of Shep Paine’s boxed dioramas when I first saw that model in the movie. As he described it, those kinds of models were used by the Admiralty to assess new ship designs and plans.

Same here. It always had a feel like there was more to come.

1 Like

Couple of others that I thought of. Obviously not model kits but still building a scale replica.

“Magnum PI” - Higgins building a replica of the Bridge on the River Kwai.

“The Getaway” - Steve McQueen building a bridge with matchsticks in his prison cell.

2 Likes

Mr. Bean-Christmas show. His girlfriend gives him an Airfix sailing ship model, he gives her a store stand up ad for an engagement ring instead of the ring that she had been looking at in the window.

MASH-don’t recall if it is in the original movie or the series or both-Col Blake is scratchbuilding a H-47 medivac chopper.

3 Likes

It isn’t. It is a poor imitation of a Spielberg film.

1 Like

How about the scene from Die Hard in which Alan Rickman is gushing over the models of the various Nakatomi Corporation projects?

:beer: