Models on 1969 British SciFi show “UFO.”

Indeed…

More here : https://www.vintag.es/2019/01/shado-girls.html

H.P.

7 Likes

Oh, I remember HER from recent watching. Crew, uh, person from the Skydiver.

What is funny or odd is that I don’t remember any of the cheesecake from when I was 12.

Again, I was interested in the action sequences; the soap opera stories, etc. went completely past me.

I just wanted to see UFOs blown up.

2 Likes

I suppose in keeping with Models on the British TV Show UFO, it’s worth saying you could never have a TV show like that today.

1 Like

Im still unsure why the ladies on the Moonbase have purple hair up there, but on earth its normal again ?

The place I downloaded the series from, all the episodes are incorrectly sequenced :see_no_evil: … i cant be bothered trying to sift through and get them right so just going to watch them as they go …

2 Likes

I’d have to go digging to be certain I’m remembering correctly, but I believe it was some sort of anti-static wig.

2 Likes

Especially when worn by Gabrielle Drake…
:heart_eyes:
Cheers,

M

3 Likes

YEP. That sums it up nicely. Some days, I still do.

3 Likes

I’d be up for that, as I’ve never attempted anything like it.

4 Likes

A big thanks to M70 for starting this thread, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:. As with many of you above, I’m a huge fan of all shows Anderson, but my favourite has always been UFO. I think in part it’s due to my parents not allowing me to watch it, when it first aired back in 1969/70, as they thought it too dark and adult for someone not yet a teenager at the time.

However, I would get tantalising glimpses of the vehicles, etc, through the sharing of Barratt/Bassett 1971 U.F.O. Sweet Cigarette Cards with my chums in Junior School, :slightly_smiling_face:.

There’s an excellent book for anyone interested in the series, UFO S.H.A.D.O. Technical Operations Manual (Hardcover)

…it gives the following reasons for the purple wigs…

In the early 2000s a company called Product Enterprise (now Sixteen 12) released a number of diecast vehicles (so not strictly model kits) from the series. At the time I seem to recall these retailed at about £40 GBP, and I was keen to obtain them all, and now they go for hundreds of pounds on the various online stores.

Below are the ones that were released and I have in my collection.

They’re nicely detailed, but the mobiles have a stupid, and unrealistic, blotchy paint scheme, which unfortunately, imho, detracts from the overall quality.

The same company also made a few items from other shows in the same diecast range, and these I have in my collection…

G, :beer:

9 Likes

Damn you and your annoyingly superb collection of Anderson vehicles… I forgot you had all those …
I too had most of those, apart from the sub and the actual UFO … I did have a few more Capt Scarlet ones, the angels interceptor… And of course the Thunderbirds collection …
Am watching an episode of UFO with a very young George Cole (Arthur!! Minder) in it lol…I wonder who else started in it that you didn’t realise were in it …

6 Likes

I had the Dinky Toys Interceptor, and they had it cast in some horrid green, similar to Thunderbird 2!!! But hey, it had some sort of spring could fire that large nuclear missile…

5 Likes

Regarding my own parents, they were very far from permissive, but never said anything about my faithfully watching the show.

As mentioned, my fascination was with battles with the UFOs; I had no recollection of more tawdry things, the double entendres which surely went over my head, etc.

And it’s funny to watch: in the real future, complaints would be pouring into HR. :laughing:

People smoking, helping themselves to whiskey on the job, etc. 1980 was imagined as really something special: everywhere beautiful shapely women in tight outfits.

I seem to remember it airing on Sunday early evenings. I think the episodes were broadcast out of order.

Then abruptly, it was canceled without warning.

On another note, found this site about the models:

4 Likes

Thank-you for the link. Somehow I haven’t run across it before.

Cheers,
Colin

2 Likes

Just for some reference :wink:

4 Likes

As suggested by Tom, and endorsed by Evan, I’d be up for some form of Gerry Anderson show themed tribute Group Build, though I’m guessing that it’s been done before, :thinking:.

Obviously, the BattleStarTrek big three get the greater modeltime, but it would be nice to see a bit of Century 21 exposure, :slightly_smiling_face:.

For all my fascination with the shows and hardware that influenced my younger days I have never built a science fiction themed model/diorama, :unamused:, so if anyone knows how to start such a group build, I’d certainly be up for giving it a shot,any takers?

G, :beer:

5 Likes

It’s got to have been an influence on the game UFO: Enemy Unknown released in the early 90’s for Amiga and DOS.

More than a passing similarity here with the idea of a secret organisation defending Earth from alien invaders.
Lot of stuff to get your head around with this game. Base management, research, budgeting, interception and then turn based combat at the crash sites. Had it on the A500 but I never did manage to complete it.

2 Likes

The only real issue is availability of kits. Space 1999 Eagles and Hawks are fairly easy to find right now, but not much else. Thunderbirds & UFO stuff is hard to find and quite costly when you find it.

4 Likes

The AIP Thunderbirds kits seem to crop up everywhere over here. Have they not had a release the in the US?

1 Like

Hobbycraft is full of them.

2 Likes

I haven’t had chance to have a look in them yet, but are they reboxed old toolings (Imai or Bandai?) or completely new?
I’ve always wanted a TB2.

3 Likes