Models on 1969 British SciFi show “UFO.”

Typical! A show like this (with such as her) comes out just as I join the bloody Army; missed the lot.

4 Likes

If you will forgive me, that should not be a problem if (as I originally suggested to Evan) one were also to allow non-canon scratch builds that followed the Anderson style. Build something that looks as if it belongs in one of the shows and make up your own story as to how it was involved. There must be dozens of vehicles, some of which had a pivotal role in the episodes in which they appeared, which have never been kitted. An exact scratchbuild is probably too much of an ask, but I’ve noticed amongst the Eaglemoss “Star Trek” collections alternative design concepts for ships which became familiar in a differing form, so your own alternative take on one of the more well known vehicle should be acceptable.
I think my first-ever kit bash SF build was my immediate reaction to first seeing a “Captain Scarlett” SPV; it started with an Airfix Panther hull with the some of the torsion arms spaced, angled, and fitted to allow the used of alternating larger and smaller wheels from other kits. The hull was topped off with the shallow roof section from the cover over the bed of a Matador I’d converted into the approximation of a Deacon SP A/T for wargaming. The Bren Carrier tracks from the kit which supplied the Deacon with its Six Pounder would have done nicely for the auxiliary drop-down tracks at the rear of the SPV, but that had been built bog stock, again for gaming with Featherstone rules.
Then there’s all the anonymous extras who hang about in the background with no other purpose than to blow up if so required. I seem to remember scenes with parking lots full of generic civilian cars and while it’s possible these were mass-produced from an in-house moulding system to a limited range of designs I think they might also have been adapted from some of the larger kits available at the time.
So, there’s no reason not to have a go building something if such a Group Build goes ahead, or even if it doesn’t; just stick some bits together and give them their own thread in the SF section.

Regards,

M

2 Likes

Okay. Need expert help here. In Episode 15, “Survival,” Col. Foster leaves the moon base and while on Earth, visits a love interest — the lovely Miss Tina Duval at the Windemere Apartments.

While she is showering at 11:10, she has the stereo playing.

I am definitely a Metal guy, but this is a very good song.

Anyone know what the song and who the artist are?

Interesting trivia: Foster calls the craft “You Eff Ohs” rather than the de rigueur “You-Foes.” :slight_smile:

Also worth mentioning: the Moon Mobiles as depicted have a good chance by any interested and capable modeler of being scratchbuilt.

1 Like

It’s the Episode 13

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x80p40s

Got no clue about the song though… :roll_eyes: (but it’s funny they still listen to vinyl records…)

H.P.

3 Likes

A display of wealth and good taste; she probably plays them through a valve amp…
:nerd_face:
Cheers,

M

3 Likes

The song was possibly called ‘Enemy My Friend’, see 16 below, but can’t find who performed it…will keep looking.

below are tracks from an album of UFO Soundtracks.
1 UFO Main Titles
2 S.H.A.D.O.
3 E.S.P. from “E.S.P.”
4 Flashback from “Confetti Check A-O.K.”
5 The Choice from “Confetti Check A-O.K.”
6 Space Junk from “Conflict”
7 Straker and the General from “Conflict”
8 A Rose for Sylvia from “Ordeal”
9 Harlington Straker from “Identified”
10 Alien from “Identified”
11 Travelling Home from “Ordeal”
12 The Trip from The Long Sleep
13 Taken from Ordeal
14 Crash Landing / Dreambox from Ordeal
15 The Leisure Sphere from Survival
16 Enemy my Friend from Survival
17 The Affair from The Square Triangle
18 A Day at the Studio from A Question of Priorities
19 Who Are You? / John’s Death from A Question of Priorities
20 UFO End Titles
21 Bonus Track – Trampoline from “Ordeal” – The Spencer Davis Group

G, :beer:

3 Likes

Hmmm. Listed on Google as:

Survival

UFO: Season 1, Episode 15

Injured Foster must cooperate with an invader to reach the installation alive after an alien vessel incapacitates his Moonmobile.

Air date: January 6, 1971

1 Like

The tracks might be on YouTube.

Thanks!

1 Like

CDs were to appear a few years off yet — 1983.

Of course, tubes still sound great. I run a 12AU7 preamp after my DAC.

Have a 1983 Pioneer A-80 Integrated Amplifier on my bench — first consumer electronics to have a dedicated CD player input.

Of course, vinyl still has its aficionados.

2 Likes

Damn you guys, damn you. You got me binge watching, just finished ep 22 Confetti Check A-OK. My favorite the first time I watched some 30 years ago was Mindbender, it still was this go around so far too. Fun, and so cool to see what the sets really looked like behind the scenes.

4 Likes

I’ve recently found out that some of the props utilised in UFO were originally made for the 1969 movie “Doppelgänger” (a.k.a. “Journey to the Far Side of the Sun”), in particular the full size ground vehicles. Some of the cast were also recycled, including Ed Bishop and George Sewell .

Regards,

M

3 Likes

Differing source :wink:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063962/episodes?season=1&ref_=tt_eps_sn_1

H.P.

3 Likes

I seem to recall the spacesuits were too Tom, :slightly_smiling_face:.

4 Likes

In support of Tom’s suggestions, a ‘Century 21 - Anderson’ tribute build that included both canon kits alongside modified/scratchbuilt kits in the style of Century 21 programmes, would get my vote, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:.

I recently watched a series on BritBox relating to the making of Captain Scarlet, and one of the original modelmakers, possibly Mike Trim, stated that they would have struggled making models that were too futuristic, they were simply trying to predict the near future.

All the best Anderson series were either set in the near future, at the time of making, i.e. UFO - 1980s, Space 1999 - obvious, or about a century hence (2060s), again at the time of making, Fireball XL5 - 2062, Stingray - 2060, Thunderbirds - 2065, and Captain Scarlet - 2068. So we’re not talking time jumping, warp travelling, dimension crossing, beyond imagination scenarios…it’s simples, I always thought an M551 Sheridan, or a Stridsvagn 103 lent themselves to a Century 21esque vehicle…he says, :thinking: :smirk:.

4 Likes

That seems about right, given the link between the two are the Zero-X missions to Mars…
I believe there’s no crossover because while Anderson retained the rights to “Captain Scarlet”, those for “Thunderbirds” resided elsewhere.

Cheers,

M

3 Likes

Here’s “Enemy my Friend” on YouTube:

it’s an instrumental theme piece by Barry Gray. He wrote most of the theme and background mood music for Gerry Anderson’s shows until Space 1999.

Episode numbers are difficult with UFO. Different sources list them by “date written”, “date produced” or “date broadcast” (which can vary with the broadcaster/rebroadcaster). The “Official” episode number should probably be from gerryanderson dot com (link - https://www.gerryanderson.com/) but as there’s little consensus across the www an official answer isn’t terribly useful.

and sorry, I don’t have a clue what the song you wondered about is called. You might try an audio sample from the show and use one of the song recognition apps - way outside my technical skills.

Good luck.

4 Likes

Holy cow, they have the soundtrack album on Spotify! Thanks for the heads up that this existed.

4 Likes

O, dear, started watching them.

3 Likes

I am actually now very worried in case you have this album…( Even if you do…do not admit to it !!!)

2 Likes

Where do the soundtrack albums for Escape From New York or Flash Gordon fall with you? :smirk:

4 Likes