Modern zimmerit?

Saw this and wondered whether zimmerit was making a comeback!

Be an interesting vehicle to model…

1 Like

Maybe they overdid it on the salt-proofing? Reminds me of the old undercoat they would spray on cars in northern markets.

Somebody had their compressor up too high?

I wonder if the hatches and turret still move?

Is that a NERF BTR?

3 Likes

The way my airbrushing goes sometimes, I get that sort of effect anyway!

2 Likes

So maybe Rhinoliner has branched out?

1 Like

Krylon come out with a new rattle can flat glitter stealth paint that absorbs humidity?

That’s what you get when you carve the hull from those foam blocks florists use…

1 Like

Looks like it’s covered in polyurethane foam insulation.

1 Like

Just a guess, but it may be insulation to reduce the heat signature.

1 Like

The guys over there may be fan of Jim Carry. It looks like an armored version of Dumb and Dumber’s car w/o the nose and ears.

btw: the text on the building in the background mean “Maintenance Point”.

How it is done :

I guess they have plenty of old tanks to practise :wink:

It’s expected to reduce the infrared and electromagnetic signatures…

Here’s another one :

image305

H.P.

Sorry about that - I just realise you’d made the same point re airbrushing(!)

I seem to be a bit slow these days.

1 Like

I guess it works to protect the vehicle by crippling the enemy with laughter?

On a serious note, how does this coating affect the crew’s ability to mount up safely? And to perform maintenance?

1 Like

Those pics where they are applying the foam, looks just like “Great Stuff” insulation foam when you spray it from a can.

1 Like

Personally looks like a rubber coating to hide the thermal image possibly ! Still a very interesting image. Would luv to know the story behind this ?

NASA did something similar with their original M113 rescue vehicles that were introduced for the Mercury and Gemini missions (asbestos coating for heat protection).

113a

113c

113e

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing these amazing fotos and the great little known story about these machines. I have already taken the liberty of sharing these with my friend an Aero Engineer at Boeing.