Monogram F-84F

Well this week I got the wingtip squadron color, anti glare panel, tail fin antenna, and steel areas masked off and painted…

More in a few days…

5 Likes

It’s hard not to love an old Momogram 1/48 aircraft kit.

2 Likes

No it’s not. I’m sure that many of us grew up building such kits. Now that the basic colors are on, this should move along a bit more quickly!

did you finish the ordnance with the same metal coat?

If yes, is there a notable difference in color compared to the aircraft?

I haven’t finished the ordnance yet, but the drop tanks will be done in different aluminum shades that are more dull, so there will be some difference in both tone and reflectivity. I just can’t say how much yet. I used a different metallic shade on “the special weapon”, and it certainly has a different tone from the bright shiny aluminum of the airframe.

I’ve been doing lots of little bits of work on this one. Looking at the instructions I saw that I had painted the anti glare panel in Black instead of OD, so I had to go back and repaint that. I also finished paint the drop tanks and Mk.7 Special Weapon. I used different shades of aluminum on the drop tanks based off what I saw in the photos. Its hard to make out here, but it is quite noticeable to the eye

I can now start doing the decals and final assembly over the next few days!

3 Likes

Today I started with the decals but hit a few speed bumps…

I should be able to get them finished tomorrow.

4 Likes

Bumps or not… this is looking good!

@drabslab, Thanks. I should be able to get the decals wrapped up today. Except on the Mk.7, as I think that I’ll mask off and paint the striping instead of using the kit supplied stripe decals. Then I can put the final stencils on the bomb afterwards.

Too true. Most of their kits from the late 70s on still stack up well to recent new kits.

@JPTRR, along with Humbrol enamels I’m a die hard Monogram fan. Head of the Monogram Mafia elsewhere :wink:. I don’t fret over the raised panel lines, the shapes are usually dead on, and the cockpit detailing got better and better as time went on.

Today I got all the rest of the aircraft decals on, and just need to decal the Mk.7 Bomb now. After it gets one more airbrush session.

I love the red squadron markings…

Now it’s nearing the finish line!

3 Likes

Today was a lot of little detail painting getting ready for final assembly. And I did give my Molotow Chrome Pen its’ first use on the oleo strut areas of a few items. All I can say about that item is “Wow!”. I will not use anything else for those items again

The finish line is in sight and just ahead now…

2 Likes

I am at the 98% done mark now…

I just need to add a few final bits tomorrow and I can call this completed!

6 Likes

Ok, I’m calling this one done.

I’ll get more photos up this afternoon…

8 Likes

Fantastic work and finish.
Always great to see some classic jets.

Thanks Stephen. I do love the look of those 50’s aircraft in bare metal, bright squadron markings, and large national insignia. The swept wings and nose intakes really epitomize that era of design.

2 Likes

OK, here are my better all view photos, and a few posed with some scenery stuff…
This is a 2000 re issue of Monogram’s 1984 vintage F-84F Thunderstreak. I built it OOB, including using the kit decals, which gave me the only real problems with the kit. I used AK Real Color for the overall Aluminum and was very happy with that stuff. It handled masking great as well as clean up of enamel overspray using thinner with zero problems. Other NMF tones were done with Model Master Metalizer and Tamiya lacquers.

This boxing also includes a Mk.7 Nuclear bomb and a cart…

Thanks for looking. Comments and critiques are welcome as always :wink:

10 Likes

you will find the paint/ink in those molotow goes bad after a while and it ends up looking like cheap silver paint.

Splendid job on your 'Streak Carlos @Stikpusher, I think it looks even better than the actual 1:1 airplane!

Cajun :crocodile:

Makes me want to get started on the F104 in my stash.