Monogram M34 Truck Rebuild

Yep, except ours was missing the doors where the large 3 is one both sides and had an older style red light. Rims had the outer ring painted white and white bumper guide rods. Hose reels in those compartments. And very faded red. Wayne

Yeah Frenchy, somewhere on the web, possibly Camp Holloway site there are pics of our fire station before I was there. Wayne

Here are the pics of our truck and crew. Wayne

2 Likes

Well, there are two ways to look at things:

1. The box size is so resource-dominant that the companies cut molds in steel blocks that are wasteful of the mold blank material and the machine capacity (grams/shot).

2. The most expensive part of producing the kit is buying and cutting the steel mold and manufacturers maximize the mold frame that can fit in the mold. Because there are only a limited number of mold block sizes the size of sprues produced is also limited, meaning that the number of box sizes can also be limited, too.

I guess comes down to which view of manufacturing economics you want to believe.

KL

Remember the movie “Taps”? The one with George C. Scott, Timothy Hutton, Sean Penn and Tom Cruise?

2 Likes

Yup, good movie. The truck is a GMC M135 though, not an M34.

Better view.

2 Likes

Here you go; a proper M34 truck.

And another M34 with a deep water fording kit.

Which truck was used in Rambo again??

M135.

Scroll up a bit.

Monogram M34 Truck Rebuild - Armor/AFV / Modern - KitMaker Network

Oh yes I see thanks

I have found the M34 TM in downloadable format; it has lots of good drawings and info.

TM 9-819 M34.pdf

Stumbled on to this:

M34 & Jeep

Although the scale is doubtful…

This is the same 1957 vintage Monogram kit of the M34. It is actually 1/35 scale. Details are pretty soft to nonexistent though.

This is one of the latest boxings of it, along with an equally poor Willys MB jeep.

1 Like

The parts in the later versions (late 70’s on) of the kits can be badly warped. Especially the frame and cargo bed.

The Monogram frame does represent the exhaust system as identical to the M35A1.

On the parts warping issue, you could maybe dunk them in hot water and somewhat bend them back into shape. Worst case scenario: you will have to scratch build the parts from sheet styrene.

Too warped for hot water. The frame was warped in one direction & the cargo bed in the opposite direction. It was a re-issued kit from the 80’s

I started building a new frame, then came across an older kit from the 60’s with better parts.

1 Like