Monogram UDT Boat

This is a re-post because the original seems to have been a victim of the glitch in Forums this past week. I’d like to thank the members who made kind and favorable comments the first time around.

This is the venerable LCP(R) from Monogram. The kit was first released in 1959. It was originally molded in three colors of plastic, gray, black, and a yellow/orange. I remember building one in my (much) younger days and conducting UDT operations in the bathtub and at the beach. I built this one a several years ago for fun, and a bit of nostalgia. I added some improvements, like cutting away and replacing the solid molded netting on the recovery hoop’s support arm. I added an additional crewman and several frogmen from a second kit and the scrap box, leftovers from a much earlier build. I made simple modifications to the squatting frogmen so they wouldn’t all look the same.

In the next picture, you might notice some ‘water’ sloshing around inside the raft. It was made using a model RR product from Woodland scenics.

The crew figures are from the kit and don’t look too shabby for their age. The fellow looking over the gunner’s shoulder is the same as the coxswain. By placing them opposite each other the similarity isn’t that obvious.

The frogman squatting near the bow is stock. For variety, the other two were given facemasks, and one had his right arm repositioned.

The frogman clambering up out of the raft was one of two swimming figures in the kit. The other was holding a demolition charge. I repositioned his legs a little and replaced his right hand, so it would grip the edge of the deck.

The scene depicts the boat recovering the frogmen after a mission. This is a post WW2 setup with the hoop suspended from an arm for support. Previously, the recovery man relied only on the strength of his arms to hold on to it.

I believe the netting was a visual aid, used by the men in the water to help align themselves for the recovery. All in all this build was a lot of fun and a little trip down memory lane. Despite the kit’s age, I think with a little TLC it still builds up into a respectable model. Thanks for looking. :beer:

15 Likes

Excellent model Al! The boats are crisp and clean and the paint work is outstanding. The figures are beautiful and your poses look great. This whole scene looks excellent.

4 Likes

Thanks, Matt. Much appreciated. :beer:

2 Likes

I will repost my … " Looks fantastic and a nice unique build as well… :+1:"

2 Likes

Thanks, appreciated. :beer:

1 Like

I love seeing nice clean builds from classic kits. You’ve done a fantastic job on this one.

2 Likes

Thank you. :beer:

1 Like

i agree with everything said so far, a fantastic build!

2 Likes

Thanks! :beer:

1 Like

Superb job you have done. My hats off to you…Cheers mark

2 Likes

Thank you. :beer:

1 Like

I especially enjoy seeing builds from “back in the day” that take the kit up to modern day standards.Well done!

2 Likes

Thank you, and I agree that many old kits can be made to shine with a bit of effort. :beer:

1 Like

I just can echo all that is already said… in short, great build!

Cheers
Jan

2 Likes

Thanks, very much. :beer:

1 Like