Morris C8 Mk2 Quad field Artillery Tractor by Gecko models

I recently built the 25 Pounder field gun and ammunition Limber on here to go with this Gecko model kit, I will be displaying the whole train on some desert road groundwork inside a glass case in Memory of My Uncle Bob who was wounded in one during an Artillery Duel during the early stages of the German attacks in the Desert campaign. More detail on that incident during the build.
Lets take a look in the box

the instruction book is just that, a book, not a vague sheet. I’d even go to say it is more detailed and has better clear images than the Haynes Manual on the 1200 VW Beetle I’m currently re-building.

8 Likes

The Engine is, as usual, the start point. it’s conventional assembly.

one little nugget is the PE dipstick, perfectly correct, in fact it looks the same as the one on my Morris Minor Pickup, nice little detail. There’s a fair amount of cleanup here, the attachment points to the sprue tree are quite substantial.

the Chassis is unconventional from a standard truck, the engine is mounted in a separate cradle, which itself is then bolted onto the main Chassis legs.

10 Likes

This looks like a great kit and will go with your 25pdr wonderfully. Can’t wait to see it all together!

5 Likes

It’s an amazing standard of detailing, The whole kit is a quality experience. So far, I’ll keep you all appraised during the build.

Here’s the chassis with the first prop shaft installed.

9 Likes

Great start

2 Likes

the rear of the chassis is a busy place, with wheel chocks stowed underneath. the first two wheels located, with wood blocks holding them straight while they set.

7 Likes

I will look forward to seeing the end result if this is the standard of build so far .

1 Like

The front axle needs care taken to ensure it lines up ok, the wheels held in position here while they set hard, then there are still a dozen fine parts to fit around the front hubs including the steering linkage and hydraulic brake hoses.

the short sturdy chassis and large wheels gives this truck a solid look.

Morris has a history of doing that with it’s vehicle designs under Alex Issigonis (designer of the mini), here’s My Morris Pickup.
Alice with a sherman b

8 Likes

The instruction book is excellent as I’ve said, great confirmation schematics as follow up on build check.

5 Likes

These may help

6 Likes

Very helpful CMOT, nice clear views, just what I need right now. Cheers for taking the time and effort to post them.

1 Like

Note the front axle over the leaf springs the rear axle is under them.

Glad they are of use.

2 Likes

Yes front over, rear axle on below the spring, complex build this one, I have to let each stage set properly before moving on or it could get messy rather fast. Painted in a light coat of white primer, when it’s dry I’m going green chassis, light stone Desert coloured body.

6 Likes

It looks like it should be in a truck pull event in Alabama (or any state actually).
Looks great.

3 Likes

I’m using an over thinned airbrush coat of green to fill in the lower areas followed later by a less thinned light coat of Desert sand, to appear as sand staining under here.

plenty of detail still to fit in the cab.

5 Likes

building up base coats, allowing the thinner yellow to stain the white areas.

6 Likes

Wow. That’s a really excellent effect! Nice tones.

1 Like

adding the framework around the radiator

never too early for a test fit, just to make sure everything is lined up right.

6 Likes

So what is the purpose of this odd body shape?

Nothing odd about it Dan, it was a vehicle of it’s time, it’s Purpose was to tow a gun and limber, for that it needed to be sturdy and powerful with excellent traction, it had to transport the gun crew and all their personal kit and small arms, it wasn’t a general purpose truck, so the body was closed off. Keep watching the build, your question may answer itself.

8 Likes