Mr.SURFACER 1000 spray can cracked paint problem

I’ve been really happy with the Mr Surfacer, particularly as a final prepaint coat. A light high grit sanding and good to go with the colour coat.

I thought I was on the final coat when this happened.

I can’t think of anything I did differently on this coat and I’m at a bit of a loss. If anyone has run into this and has a clue what’s happened, your insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,
Colin

1 Like

It looks like the previous coat dried but wasn’t cured before you put the current coat on. You have a “window” to add additional coats of any paint. You have to keep it “wet” (repaint within 30 minutes or less) or let it cure (repaint in 2 or 3 days). If you add a coat between these windows, the underlying coat shrinks at a different rate as it cures, causing this style of cracking.

9 Likes

Thank-you sir. Another detail to add to the Infinite Necronomicon of Chromomancy and Filler Putty. :grin:

I’ll guess I’ve never worked quickly enough for problem to come up before.

Cheers,
Colin

2 Likes

i had this with a coat of the equivalent of Klear here in Oz. Never had a problem before, but i’d sprayed over Vallejo Acrylics. This time it was over Tamiya lacquer paints, and thanks to SSGToms i can now see why the “klear” crazed as it did.
Humidity has been awful here for a few weeks so the paint must take much longer to dry.

2 Likes