My Aircraft Hangar Collection

Is that ship modeller’s humour :slight_smile: ? Considering how immensely funny I already am, I should probably stay away from the boats :slight_smile: !

:raising_hand_man:

Magnus

1 Like

Hehe… I’m pretty sure there’s a coded message in there too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Excellent, looks much better. Nice one Russell :smile:

1 Like

Great jobs on your new additions, Russell! Like them all very much, congrats!

1 Like

Ladies and Gentlemen!

It’s been some time since I have posted here. After finishing the Grumman Martlet last year I spent the remainder of the year and the start of this year finishing off HMS Dauntless in 1/350 over in the salty side of the hobby.

After which, I thought I’d start the first kit in what I’m planning as an Illustrious Trilogy, featuring Aircraft that served upon that very important ship…

Therefore, I present to you my version of Special Hobby’s 1/72 Fairey Fulmar MkII

This is BP782/OR, No 806 NAS, who served on HMS Illustrious off Ceylon in the Indian Ocean in the summer of 1942…

It took quite a while to get this one over the finish line. 6 months to be specific. Lack of mojo and lack of time being major factors in the long build time. The kit itself was ok, but if the lack of locations pins is an issue, then this kit is not your friend.

Thanks for looking, comments welcome, as always… :slightly_smiling_face:

Other Illustrious challenges await :wink:

6 Likes

Nice addition to your collection, Russell! The Fulmar is not often seen. Painting looks great, a bit of weathering but not too much. What paints did you use ? That wire looks frightning to me. I would have problems in 1/48 with that and here it looks so easy in 1/72. I should have a look at my Eduard Fulmar.
Photos are also well done :+1:

:beers:
Torsten

1 Like

Hi Torsten :slightly_smiling_face:

Thankyou for your kind words-they are most appreciated :smiling_face:

Paints are Humbrol enamels, with Abteilung weathering, which I try to keep scale appropriate by making it subtle and just hinting that it’s there…

The rigging is made from a product called Ezy-line. It’s actually elastic and can be stretched taught. I’ve used it on all my ship builds and for my aircraft and I swear by it.

It’s well worth the investment as the effect it creates takes your model to the next level… :cowboy_hat_face:

Yes, dust that Fulmar off, and see if you can complete it, because as you say, they are a rare find :slightly_smiling_face:

Nice little catch up with a few I missed Russ. More great builds with some equally lovely finishing :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Very neat little built Russ, great job! Looking forward to the next one lined up on your bench mate.

Cheers, D

1 Like

I thought you were Airfix-only but obviously not :slight_smile: ! That’s a nice addition to the collection and as others have already pointed out, not a subject seen very often. I think I had an earlier reincarnation of this kit, it might have been an MPM, that I never built. These newer short-runs are so much better and more refined and the final result is just so much better.

Magnus

1 Like

Hello Magnus :slightly_smiling_face:

Thankyou for stopping by and checking out my Fulmar :slightly_smiling_face:

No, it’s not just Airfix that I build, although it may seem that way as they certainly have quite a few kits that overlap my area of interest. Next up will be a Timaya kit, and there’s lots of Special Hobby and Eduard kits in the stash to follow…

This kit by Special Hobby fits some way between their earlier short run kits and their latest nicer kits…

Finally, wishing you, and all my fellow kitmakers a merry Christmas and a happy New Year :evergreen_tree::santa:

2 Likes