My SMS Emden Build (1/700 Flyhawk)

Is it worth the effort - are the turned barrels that much better than the plastic ones in that scale/size? I used to be able to drill out gun muzzles fairly accurately, but the old peepers ainโ€™t what they used to be! :face_with_spiral_eyes:
:smiley: :canada:

Hi Biggles :grinning:

Attaching these is a project and whether at this scale they look that much better considering the effort I think is up to the modeler and could be said about most PE. After some sanding to clean up my glue bulge, mine did look better

Note: I originally only did mine as a learning experience โ€œButโ€ and this might be something you might want to consider if your model will have the gunports open: I have already snapped off the two I did to install the deck actually installing the deck :crazy_face:. While some might think this is a bad thing I believe with some effort I can glue them back on because the surface is prepared to receive them (time will tell). I also plan to to just prep the 2 under the aft deck and not install the barrels to make taping the upper hull for the yellow much easier. Repairing damaged plastic barrels might be considerably harder, possibly impossible depending on where they break.

I also did not do the barrel upgrades on parts J1 or J2 but not because it was too hard but because I wanted the guns to look different so if I break those we shall see.

On a side note. I removed what I believe was the upper part of the ammo container of I14 and I15 to prevent it from contacting the bottom of the deck during that installation. After installing those guns it was quite obvious it was too close for comfort considering what it takes to fit that deck

Either way
Thanks for stopping by

:+1: :smiley:

Is it worth the effort - are the turned barrels that much better than the plastic ones in that scale/size? :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Thatโ€™s a good point. My Flyhawk Campbeltown came with a brass replacement barrel, but it would have been no real improvement over the plastic tube, so I didnโ€™t bother!

Mind blowing :exploding_head: