New 1/35 Korean War figures WIP from DEF Model

DEF Model’s owner, Hyun Jin Kim, posted these screenshots on FB to showcase its WIP Korean War US figures in 1/35. This is a rare attempt because designers usually shy away from anything Cold War (because they don’t sell well like plethora of pointing WWII Germans. :frowning: ). I have suggested to him to do more Cold War figures b/c they’re not available in the market. He’s considering to do more - thankfully - and also considering to offer these in 1/16 (depending on the demand of course and business decision).

Let’s stay tuned.

6 Likes

Looking good. I like the ones with the patrol cap better. Hopefully he will offer later Cold War ('60s/'70s) figures in OG-107 fatigues in Europe.

1 Like

Well that guy won’t work for Korea. Only the Marines wore canvas leggings in Korea, and they had a different style of fatigues and soft cap , aka dungarees & cover in USMC lingo. He’s ok for US Army WWII, but the soft cap needs changes.

1 Like

Carlos, if DEF simply replaces the boots, would they work for the US Army during the war?
I was looking at these Korean War photos, and thought the boots were the only problem?

DEF’s previous release of a Korean War figure based on a historical photo of a Marine.

1 Like

Some minor fixes to the uniforms besides the boots. The Marines wore leggings and shoes well into the war, I don’t know at what point those were phased out. As you show with the DEF USMC tanker, the dungaree blouse had only a single breast pocket with no flap, and the trousers had cargo style patch pockets on the sides. The Army HBT fatigues had two larger bellows breast cargo pockets, and the trousers had hip cargo pockets similar to the Marine Corps type. The USMC soft cap had a flat portion to the front for the EGA emblem, and the Army type had a peak in that location. The cap in the images does look like the Army M1951 field cap, aka patrol cap. That uniform would work for the wool cold weather type, but I can’t say how frequently those were worn.

1 Like

A small update: DEF’s Hyun Jin is replacing the boots with the following design:

6 Likes

Those are M1943 Combat Boots that were worn early in the war. Most soldiers had the later, M1948 Combat Boots without the buckles at the ankle.

2 Likes

Cool. Hyun Jin responded that he has already been working on another GI figure wearing M1948:

6 Likes

I have also suggested a handful of other Cold War figures to Hyun Jin because no one makes these (or none I am aware of):

Korean War tankers (in the warmer season attire):

The US soldiers during the 1961 Check Point Charlie (Berlin) incident era:

And lastly, this is more of a personal wish because in 1976, my father (also a Viet Nam War veteran) was stationed in DMZ with the ROK Army, and he geared up for a war with the North Korea after the DMZ Axe Murder incident. It would be interesting to depict some soldiers during that incident (the Operation Paul Bunyan) because no one does figures during that era if I remember correctly:

Apparently, S. Korea’s former president was in the ROK special forces during that incident and as was my father (retired officer with the ROK Army).

3 Likes

New fig looks good. Any and all of the other Cold War figures would be great.

Some tankers and ground pounders in Germany from the time would be nice too.

1 Like

RIP

1LT (Promoted to Captain) Mark Barrett.

Captain (promoted to Major) Arthur Bonifas.

The Incident…

The response…

The end result.

Camp Bonifas, part of the UNCSB - JSA. renamed from Camp Kitty Hawk.

IYKYK

There’s a very good, rather graphic diorama of that incident either at the JSA or the Korean War Memorial Museum in Yongsan, I can’t remember which. It looked to be about 1/25 scale
or larger - everything scratchbuilt - the figures, the duece.
Jin could probably draw some inspiration from some of the excellent displays in ther Museum in Yongsan.

1 Like

Oh yeah.

3 Likes

That’s the one. I have almost exactly the same photos somewhere. The deuce is a bit underscale, but whoever built it did a great job on that canvas.

Here are a few more Korean War reference photos for ya…

1 Like

Might as well get some Aussies in there too.

here’s some more.

1 Like

Hi Any updates on these figures its been 8 months since this announcement?

No updates. DEF Model is busy with these new releases at the moment:
https://defmodel.com/

I predict it will be toward the end of the year (2024) before they become finalized.

Apparently only small amount of the actual response.