New 3D-Printed M76 Otter | Armorama™

Bill Cross reviews the M76 Otter from Vietnam's Hobby Link in 1/35th.

This is partial text from the full article (usually with photos) at https://armorama.com/news/new-3d-printed-m76-otter
11 Likes

Ugly little vehicle.
I think I want one :grin:

9 Likes

Haha, they will stand out on your shelf or at a show.

5 Likes

I think the ugliness has an attraction all its own. I said the same about the M50 Ontos.

7 Likes

Indeed :grin: :+1:

4 Likes

That freaky oversized lunch box looks like a cross between a M113 and an “egg plane.”. And I want one! I’ve never heard of this machine before. How super cool! Thanks, Bill.

7 Likes

The M76 Otter was the replacement for the M29 Weasel. It was used almost exclusively by the Marines, which eventually replaced it with the M116 Husky.

M29 Weasel

M76 Otter

M116/M733 Husky

I think we should organize a build thread titled “The Oddballs” for lesser known vehicles like these.

7 Likes

Like the M56 Scorpion, the M76 Otter also had a pneumatic-tired suspension, which didn’t work out to well in combat areas. In both cases, the tracked vehicle could be rendered inoperative due to flat tires caused by shell fragments or gunfire…

H.P.

8 Likes

Great Grandpa?

6 Likes

Wow, it was actually fairly small.

2 Likes

Wonder if these were inspired by the Raupenschlepper Ost (RSO)?

Does the RSO qualify?

I think we should organize a build thread titled “The Oddballs” for lesser known vehicles like these.

3 Likes

I think it would.

1 Like

Like others, I want one too! SO…so… I’ll be polite and say “interesting.” Never heard/saw of one before. It almost looks like a cartoon.

2 Likes

The Hobby Link kit is for an early version of the Otter

TM9_7604_2

On the late version, the fuel tanks were moved to the rear for better stability.

TM9_7604_3

H.P.

5 Likes

.50 Cal MG pulpit :

Interesting reading :

On Campaign With Otter

H.P.

4 Likes

A very interesting subject… I might actually go for it, but I’m wondering about printing lines. One of the images in the review shows printing steps on back door, I do wonder if they would disappear under a coat of surfacer primer?

Mario

2 Likes

I completely concur Uncle-H. :+1:t4:

2 Likes

Well here’s another one to look up to buy.

2 Likes

It’s just Fugly to the point of beauty. Today it would be fit with blow proof tires I want one…

3 Likes

I think I’ve mentioned before that during a short interlude working as a PA to an extremely successful former popular musician in the south of England, one of my duties was to drive to the nearest town (Lymington in Hampshire) to undertake mostly domestic admin-type chores. I took a different route one day, just to alleviate the monotony, and lo! And behold! Parked-up in a cornfield were an Otter and a Stalwart. I mean, what the hell? This was all some time ago so no camera, certainly no mobile/camera-phone but it was all just so surreal: a field, on a sunny day in the New Forest, and there’s two, well, somewhat iconic vehicles just there.

I found out later that they were part of a collection of 1:1 scale vehicle collection owned by another multi-millionaire. I mean, what else did he have squirrelled away on his estate?

4 Likes