New "Boxcar Red" from Tamiya ~ from swords into plow shares

Another option. AK Interactive Rust primer base and Tamiya Dull Red topcoat. Model is a 1/35 scale 20’ ISO Container (Trumpeter).

2 Likes

I love this color and I am finding it so versatile in so many types of modeling!

Great work Sable!

Allowing for differences in photography and screen display, Sable, that is a perfect Recreation of the color on some containers I saw the other day.

1 Like

Indeed. Whether you’re using it as a paint or as a weathering effect Mike, you’re showing that color is having a zillion uses. Especially are you demonstrate it can be modified with those pastels.

1 Like

The minute I saw that container I thought “that one is factory fresh.” I immediately wanted to go at it with my pastels!

I don’t have a container done in the red oxide (yet) but these photos will give you an idea of how I might torcher one with my pastels and washes.

I know others have done even better with weathering their containers but for now I am happy with these.

2 Likes

Thanks. It helps that in my line of work, I see a myriad of different shipping containers. Still have to weather this one to make it look like it’s been through a few trips across the ocean.

1 Like

Rusty Reference:

RustReference2

RustyReference3

RustyReference4 RustReference1

2 Likes

Here is a “Container” (On30 boxcar) that I did use the Red Oxide Primer on and then weathered rather gently with oil pastels. (Also posted earlier)

Before weathering and after:

Standard On30 Bachmann cars, repainted, relettered and weathered.

2 Likes

RDT ~ As for using this shade of red to represent the anti-fouling Copper Oxide paint on ship hulls, it may not be correct if you are trying to represent a freshly painted hull but in these photos it looks like the Tamiya color would be perfect if your are trying to recreate a older more well used ship.

Both photos found on line. Used here for discussion purposes only.

1 Like

Back in my youth we used a product on wooden boats called Red Hand - probably no longer made - nasty stuff and I mopped on my share of it . On haul out time it seemed to match boxcar red IIRC …
( love what you did with the brass Shay in another thread BTW )

2 Likes

Just giving this thread a little bump to change things up a bit here on the Railroad Forum.

Come on guys and gals let’s get a little talk going in the outfield! - Support your team!

Using the Tamiya paint for its’ original intended purpose: Painting the interiors of German tanks!

Hence the expression “from Swords into Plow Shares.” Meaning to take a military color and find peaceful uses for it!

A Bergepanther (recovery Panther) under construction. (Takom)

_______

Or here another completed Bergepanther (Italeri) where the Red Oxide is being used to represent the Rot-Brown colored paste used by the Germans to create their seasonal camouflage markings.

1 Like

Bump - bump